1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NOS 1960's Hyland Bass rig $300/BO

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by mellowgerman, Jan 3, 2012.

1. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
  2. MrDOS

MrDOS Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Looks like that one has made the rounds, it's on eBay and here:
    Amplifiers

3. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Man that’s cool. For that price, I’d get it just for a conversation piece.

4. If that was local to me I would already have gotten it.

5. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    never heard of hyland but i like the cab

6. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    So I guess it would still be under warranty? ;)

7. Epidrake

Epidrake

May 24, 2011
    If it was local to me, I would have gotten it too.

8. If it was local to me, I would not have gotten it.

9. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Saw that on EBAY a couple weeks back. If I was local, I would have bought it, gutted the head and turned it into a medium wattage tube head (120-150 watts). I think it looks awesome with that cab.

10. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Yeah, I have no interest in it, but what a cool looking rig!

11. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

The ad is a bit off, though.

I don't recall them sounding very good when they were new, and I'm pretty sure that Garnet started making those in the late '70's, not the '60's. The way it's trimmed out (and especially the typeface on the back of the head) point that way, too.

12. I still would not have gotten it

13. In case anyone may have a slight interest, I just got back home from picking this amp up.

I'm definitely happy to give this strange little thing a home, it's a nice conversation piece. I took the back panel off and there is next to zero dust inside aside from the negligent coating you would expect to drift in after sitting for decades, but not that caked up dust you would see from alot of play time. The only thing inside that looked like it might need any dealing with at some point are the paper filter caps. I stopped at a friends house and plugged the head into one of his cabs because I didn't feel like dragging the original cab through the rain. It was clean with no hum or other issues. Tone wise, I'll just say it was "bassy" as opposed to "tinny" and if any forum masturbators want to argue what sounds good and what sounds bad then feel free to do so but I'm not here to venture into the realm of opinions on tone. The front panel actually flexes outward just a bit when you remove a plug from the input. It's' fastened by screws on the top but it looks like it just rests in a slot on the bottom. Certainly not built like a tank but not exactly flimsy either. It's too late in the evening to plug the cab in so I'll have to wait until tomorrow. Next to impossible to find any real info about this thing other than the Garnet stencil amp deal and the fuzzy potential dating somewhere in the mid 1970's to the early 1980's. Forget the exact s/n because the cab is still down in the back seat of the car but I believe it was in the 840's.

In the end, it looks cool, it's clean, and I'm happy with the purchase.

14. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    BlackMayonnaise, thanks for the review so far. It's not a '60s rig?

I hope you follow up with a review of how the head and cab sound together, which I'm guessing would be different from the head through your buddy's cab.

But whatever, it's a way-cool rig. :cool:

15. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Wow - that`s really cool ! Tell us how it sounds !

16. MrDOS

MrDOS Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Love to see some pix of the inside. It would be pretty easy to date from cap pictures.