1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nos 60's La Bella Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by spellcaster, Oct 17, 2013.

1. spellcaster

spellcaster

Mar 20, 2007
    NY-DC
    Found a set of these old LaBellas. Not sure of when they were made but they use a washer on the bridge end that is very interesting. Anyone have any insight on when LaBella was doing this?

stringdetail.

stringcoil.

stringpackage.

2. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    I remember seeing that packaging well into the 70s. Rotosoaund also provided those washer too, right up to around '76-77. Are they long scale? If I recall, they'll be very high tension and stiff!

3. spellcaster

spellcaster

Mar 20, 2007
    NY-DC
    Looks to be a lighter gage and standard Fender length. I'll string them up in the next couple days and report back. Also, I did email LaBella so I'm curious if they can return with some added info.

4. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I wonder what makes them "good for all Japanese basses"?

5. Turkeypills

Turkeypills

Nov 8, 2012
    St. Louis
    This is what I immediately thought of. That and what kind of galactic implosion would result in throwing those bad boys on a Fender.

I more than likely would not use NOS. I feel like the technology of string production has only improved and that there wouldn't be an advantage to 40 year old unused strings.

Am I just ignorant to the carefully aged cheese that is a 40 year old set of strings or is it just the vintage aesthetic?

6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    I would not install those either. Too cool to damage!

They say for all Japanese basses, I am not to hip on all of the "vintage Japanese instruments" but it is possible there were some from that era (or all) that were made to where large ball ends didn't fit properly? What are you planning on installing them on?

Do you have the complete set? (Want to trade?)

7. They're not better...but they are cooler...and that's what matters...right?;)
    Seriously though, it's all about the sound you're after...and if your looking for that vintage sound then these old strings might be perfect...I'd put them on the my P-Bass in a heartbeat.

8. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    There must have been at the time a rash of bridges (maybe on import basses) that had holes too large for the La Bellas, so they started throwing those washers on there.

I have an old (late '70s-early '80s) set of Fender flats in a drawer here at the house. New flats are so much more precisely made and sophisticated than these old Fenders.

9. spellcaster

spellcaster

Mar 20, 2007
    NY-DC
    Yeah, it's the complete set and plan on putting them on a P-Bass.

I contacted the seller and she said her granddad had a music store in Kansas that closed down in 1980. She said she contacted LaBella and said,
    "They are from the 60s. They are the first electric bass strings they made that's why they have the guitar ball end not the larger bass end produced for 2-3 years."

Not sure what to really go on but it does seem to be a mystery.

10. I'll take your old Fender flats.

11. Halvorsen

Halvorsen

Mar 7, 2008
    Vermont
    Aren't these valuable collectors items? I wouldn't put them on ANYTHING. Save the packaging and see what they are worth before you damage them!

12. The 40-year-old strings on my 1963 P work just fine. Not sure what brand they are.

13. spellcaster

spellcaster

Mar 20, 2007
    NY-DC
    Great to know. Does yours use the washer or a larger ball end?

14. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I love the "High-Fidelity"!