1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"NOS" TBC AP500MJ from a TBer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassikLee, Aug 15, 2007.

1. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    So, the short version goes like this: I sent BassDudeSA some $$, he sent me this bass. It is one of the TEN TBC basses he bought about a year ago. This one has the MM/J pickup config, and is 35" scale. I don't know if the original plan with this line was to have both 34 and 35, but this one is 35" for sure. I'll post pics in a day or three. In the meantime, my thoughts:

The hardware is noname stuff, but solid. I recently got the exact same bridge used on this bass off ebay for $30 new. String thru, or not. Fixed spacing. It works. The tuners are fine, all the hardware is sort of "smoky chrome" finish, with works well with the natural ash/maple/pau ferro (sp??) of the bass. The body is swamp ash, with a "hippie sandwich" construction, of a center core, and bookmatched top and back. The top/backs are slightly over 1/4" thick, maybe 5/16. The core is hollowed out to shave off a bit of weight. This bass is not feather light, but is not the heaviest thing I've played either. Balance is VERY nice. The body itself is almost a slab body. It does have both a tummy cut and the contoured forearm area, but these contours are only in the top/back wood, which means they are no deeper than about 1/4". The neck is a VERY nice, three piece quatersawn maple affair. It doesn't move. Five bolts hold it tight to the body. This neck is VERY slim, front to back. If you've felt a US Millenium 5, this neck might be thinner than the Peavey. Fingerboard is nicely done. Frets are great. The nut is cut like I like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I say that because on almost every production bass I have played, the nut slots are cut too high. This one is just right. The pickups offer nice tones. I'd say the J in the neck sounds just like a J in the neck. Not surprizing, I know, but the J in the neck of my Millenium sounds more like a P, so I figured I'd point it out. The bass has a nice burp, which if you dig in, transforms to a lovely aggressive growl. I dropped the action down just a tad, but I tend to run my basses quite low. I'll need to add some foam under the pickups to raise them up to where I like 'em. For the $$, these basses are a steal.

Thanks to Sid for a killer bass, at a killer deal.

Lee

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Yup, I agree. For the money they are solid basses.