1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NOSAD (new old stock amp day)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnk_10, Nov 9, 2010.

1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    just showed up a couple of hours ago. a 1972 NOS Baldwin B1 SS combo bass amp. it is a little shop worn but actually in excellent shape for being 38 years old. it even has its original baldwin cover. kinda funny that now in 2010 i'm the first owner of it. i've always liked these old baldwin 'professionals' and used to have one back in high school. it sounds really good, and has quite a bit of power/volume with its two speakers (a 12 and a 15).

BTW, size-wise, this is is HUGE (and heavy) for a combo. much larger than the 2-12 Baldwins (with 'supersound') that i've owned recently.

anyway, without further a-do, here's the pics:

Baldwin_B-1-01.

i'm lovin' the blue formica side panels:

Baldwin_B-1-02.

check out all that aluminum!

Baldwin_B-1-03.

rear view:

Baldwin_B-1-04.

rear view with rear panel removed. (the power supply is mounted in the bottomof the cab as they did on all of the baldwin combos of this era).

Baldwin_B-1-05.

with its original cover:

Baldwin_B-1-06.

posed with one of my jazz basses to get an idea of its size, but it actually looks, and is, a lot bigger in real life.

Baldwin_B-1-07.

TomB likes this.
  2. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    WAY COOL! As if you hopped in the TARDIS and bought it the day it arrived in the shop!

X8

3. 4 imputs?

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I figured a new amp day posting from JohnK would contain something pretty fancy. That thing is downright cool looking to say the least. Almost looks like it belongs in a bowling alley.

5. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    hey Corey, your bowling alley comment nailed it. :D

6. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    I almost bought one of those awhile back - except it was in NJ i believe, and no ship.

Cool old amp!

Almost a Standel type vibe..

7. OldHack

OldHack

Jan 3, 2005
    She's a beaut! Weren't Baldwins endorsed by a band called "The Bad Examples"? all white turtlenecked out and lapel-less?

8. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Cool

9. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    That is great looking!

Nice photography, too.

I've been stalking the bushes for an early 70's Standel. You've inspired me to hunt harder.

Jim

10. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

that thing is clean as a whistle!

11. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I wants it.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's still "input." You know, signal being put in to the amp?

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Anyway, that thing has all the class of the '70s rolled into one amp. Really cool. It's almost art deco (wrong decade, I know).

14. Billy3000

Billy3000

Dec 18, 2008
    That is gorgeous! Where did you find such a beautiful amp?

15. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i graduated high school in '72 and i remember that if you owned one of these in high school you were considered a pro (or rich, or lucky). at 72lbs, and being so cool looking, it quickly has become my 'living room amp' (and it's already wife approved ;)).

speaking of standels, i 'm thinking about picking up a super artist (1968 vertical 2x15 combo) in a couple of days. i had one of them back in '99. it was great sounding amp too.

16. great looking amp sorry to be a downer but my main worry is the type of caps used in that amp are usually not the most reliable and need replacing 9 times out of 10, so i bet it'd sound even better bringing it back up to original spec!

17. Scatterblak

Scatterblak

May 12, 2007
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Endorsing Artist for Low End bass guitars, DNA Amplification
    I believe the deluxe model has 'mother of formica'.

Very, very cool find. :)

18. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    When are you going to lend me your time machine so I can find some mint amps like you have?:help:

19. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    Sunn and Ampeg always used those type of vertical can caps and i've never had a problem with them. the amp sounds great with no hum, so i'm leaving it all original (even the two prong AC cord), since an amp is only original once.

if they were bad (and humming), i would replace them, ( and i had to once before on the 2x12 guitar version of this amp that i had), but if it ain't broke, i ain't fixin' this one.

20. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    My daughter's middle school used one of those for their keyboard amp. Heavy as heck.