Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nose Oil

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Ahmrik, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Hi,
    I kid you not I was told this.

If, before playing fingerstyle, you rub your fingers on your nose then the natural oils will make it easier to play:confused: .

Now I have not tried this. What y'all reckon?

2. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I suppose that would work.. for a little while. Then you'd be goin' for your nose again.

Strangely I was shown this once by a clarinet player who would rub nose oil on her thumb and then transfer it to her reed to slow down the moisture from soaking into the reed.

Maybe there's someone out there who would sell their nose oil for a million dollars.

3. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    True.

I saw a female flute player rub her finger down her husband's nose (he was on stage too) and use that oil on the sliding part of her flute, where the two pieces slide together.

Of course she didn't have the oil on her powdered nose.

A tad gross when I saw that, but I've done it since seeing that.

I think my fingers were extremely dry or something at the time.

4. Jaco used to rub fried chicken on his nose and then wipe it on his fingers.

I might be wrong.

5. It works for DB.

Ironically enough the thread above this is titled "To Pick Or Not To Pick"

6. I have been doing this for qiute sometime. I always put new strings on my basses and never likes to new string feel so I rubbed my nose and played. It was much easier to play for me. It's kind of wierd because when I play a gig, I'm almost certain the audience wonders, ahh whatever. My strings are so dirty that it matters not if I touch my nose. Litteraly you can see the dirt all over the strings over my PU, and as for my fretting hand all the dirt seem to accumulate right behind the frets.

7. I do this occasionally too, although mostly just when I first play for the day. It definitely makes it easier while warming up, when my fingers are stiff and unrelaxed. Alternatively, a little perspiration from my hands helps me speed up, as well. Nose oil/sweat especially helps when I'm playing 8th or 16th notes in rapid succession.

Oh, ninefinger, I bet if you just nonchalantly rub your nose on stage acting like you had an itch, then surely no one would give it a second thought. :p

8. And though nose oil is great and all (definitely awaiting its turn to go wild at the marketplace :p), I find that simply washing my hands with some soap works best.

9. when my fingers dry out during a gig, i use nose oil, and when that runs dry, there's more strategic reserves behind my ears. i've never had to explore beyond that to find new sources.

:bassist:

10. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    um...Would I be right in saying that nose oil will kill your strings?(unless thats what you want)

11. Odd but true. I used to use my nose oil to settle down the head of the cheap tap beer I drank at the college bar. just rub the side of my nose and lightly touch the top of the beer's head and the head would settle down and stop from overflowing. And no one wanted a sip of my beer after they saw that. :p

12. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    But just imagine the shock factor if you faked something :rolleyes: :bag:

13. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    True, it works just as well on sodas. But beer is more fun.

14. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Yeah, I've used this for years. Way better than "Finger-Ease" and way cheaper too!
    And of course you want to wipe down your strings after every set, session, whatever. A guitar rag works well or I use aftershave which contains alcohol to cut grease and grime, and a light lubricant. I try to keep it off of the fretboard though.

As a bonus women will love the way your guitar case smells. Great conversation starter!

15. beer is always more fun!

16. well pto i do try to make it like i have an itch but its part of my playing and what i do. someone did ask me why i did that i responded that the oils helped me out a bit.

17. soontobedead

soontobedead

Jul 14, 2005
    ROFLMAO!!! i knew he ATE chicken and played w/ the grease in his hands... but as much as rub chicken on his nose, i doubt it (I just had a mental image of jaco rubbing a drumstick in his nose :p ).

18. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I used to put superglue on my fingertips before I got callouses. Talk about real easy slides...just don't try this yourself....it is dangerous stuff...especially if you end up getting your fingers stuck together.

19. Mach1FT

Mach1FT

Jan 5, 2006
    Manchester NH
    Sounds to me like someone got busted doing something :rollno: :rollno:

20. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh, Man - this thread again?

It just reminds me of Jacue Cousteau spitting in his diving mask. That sort-of tramatized me as a kid, I think.

Gotta go...

Joe