Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nosebleed during a gig last night!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by zac2944, Dec 17, 2005.

1. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    So I’m on stage playing a Funk/Disco gig last night. Everything is going great. The stage sounds good, the band is pumpin’, and the house is packed. We’re not 2 bars into Al Green’s “Let’s Stay Together”, and ***?? My nose starts dripping blood.

Now, I know what you might be thinking, but I don’t use coke. Since I was really young, I have always gotten nosebleeds during the winter. This is especially true when I have a cold, which I do. But never on stage!

I quickly pinched my nose and turned around and went back near my amp. While tending to my bleeding nose with my right hand I’m still playing the bass line with left hand. I was so embarrassed. I just tried to hide in the back of the stage, pinching my nose and keeping the bass line going. By the end of the song my nose had sort of stopped bleeding. I used a bar napkin to clean myself up and was right back in it for the next song.

After the gig I was talking with members of the band, and the drummer was the only one to notice. Luckily we’re a 14 piece band and we were on a small stage. I was way in the back, so I don’t think the audience could really see me.

What a crazy experience. I’m going to my doctor next week to see if I can get my nose cauterized or something.

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them at a gig? What did you do?

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Maybe it's dehydration?

Seems like a possibility to me.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ear plug up the nose. Seriously.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That's what I was thinking. Winter dryness'll getcha.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep. Go to CVS or Walgreens and get yourself a bottle of saline spray. Two squirts in each nostril daily and you should stay rather moist.

6. I've been doing this for the past couple of years and it works like a charm and feels great!

7. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i'd just start spitting blood at the guitar player :eek:

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Why would you want to stop the nosebleeding? I'll tell you, I would kill for the ability to bleed from the nose at will.

9. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Why? I was had on all white that night. From head to toe. (I've been going through a Larry Graham "white" fetish lately) It would have gotten ugly.

10. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Use a nasal spray called Ocean, or something like that. I had that problem before during the winter time, and that stuff worked like a charm.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Here's a trick wrestlers use, where is CRUCIAL that the bleeding stop, or else they risk disqualification. Use tampons that have been cut in half. You may want to keep a few in your gig bag, if you're prone to nosebleeds.

12. Dadio

Dadio

Dec 30, 2000
    Uxbridge, Canada
    Get your nose cauterized. It only takes 5 seconds and will fix it. They use what looks like a matchstick with some stuff on the end which creates a chemical reaction, sealing the "bleeder". I had the same problem, kept coming back till I saw the doc. Cheers !

13. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    But dude, my girl uses pads. I can't buy those things! ;)

That is a good idea. I'm going to put some in my gig bag tonight. Thanks for the tip.

14. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    The same thing happens to me, I've heard of the tampon thing, but I've never tried it. If I'm getting them really bad sometimes I'll just put a tiny amount of vaseline in there in the morning.

15. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I've had the same problem all my life and have noticed that certain things lead to a greater rate of occurences, one being the dryness of winter.

Even after having my nose cauterized I still have the nosebleeds, but much less than I used to get.

Cauterization completely solved the problem for both my mom and older brother however and I strongly suggest getting it fixed once and for all.

Aside from that anything that will keep the inside of your nose moist will help. I keep a bandana tied across my face when I'm sleeping which helps a lot.

16. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    +1 for the saline

it's so funny that your avatar shows you getting ready to "pick a winner". :p

17. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    That's funny. I was actually touching my chin and making a face as if I was in deep thought of very focused. It was taken on Halloween and I was dressed as the Big Bad Wolf. It does look like I'm going fo my nose though. Good catch.

18. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    looks like you just finished eating what you found in there.

change your title to " excellent bouqet " :p

19. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I used to get chronic nosebleeds too. I would reccomend having a doctor take a look.

and as an added benifit i can now whistle with my nose. I had actually gotten cauterized twice within a relatively short period since the first time wasn't completely succesful (first with those chemical sticks, then the old fashioned way), and now i have a hole though the cartilige in my nose. while i still get nosebleeds from time to time, they're nowhere near as severe. maybe a couple drips of blood versus gushing for several minutes.

20. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    welll its just too bad you weren't doing a gig with a hardcore punk band...they would've loved you.