1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Not a bad backline, not bad at all...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kesslari, Sep 13, 2018.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Got a mini-festival gig this weekend.
    Just got contacted by the sound guy (also a bass player and generally good human).
    Backline is a Mesa D-800 and a pair of Epiphani 310's.
    I think I can live with and enjoy that...

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Always nice when the backline isn't some dilapidated old combo that sat in the promoter's garage for years after his kid quit playing.

3. Meh. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::thumbsup:

kesslari likes this.
  4. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Well I guess if you're gonna much about it may as well be on that... :beaver:

Where ya playin' Kess, anywhere near Sacredtomato?

kesslari likes this.
  5. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    There's an ex-wife joke in there but damned if I'm going in after it...

JLY, guitarflinger, Swampish and 9 others like this.
  6. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Last one I did (this summer) was a Big Block 750 atop the customary Ampeg 8x10. Not too shabby for a backline.

HolmeBass and kesslari like this.
  7. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    I see what you mean! :laugh:

Wise(b)ass

kesslari likes this.
  8. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I was blown away by a backline rig last week that should have been a nightmare, but sounded like a million bucks. It was a Hartke 3500 on top of a 410 Transporter cab. Nice chunky tone with some thud behind it. I was stunned. I came home and looked up some reviews of the cab, ( its an old model ), and was stunned again. The cab was roundly put down as a cheap, entry level, anemic sounding cab that should be avoided at all costs ! I could not find one review giving it any kind of props at all. But, it was just what I needed playing a Blues set, namely a punchy, articulate tone that had some meat behind it. I didn't want the set to end !

Fishheadjoe, Thundar, chuck65 and 4 others like this.
  9. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Drool Pigs Festival at Yurtville. Nearer to Sacto than, say, North Carolina. Better weather right now, too. You can come out and camp!
    We're playing at 3 on Saturday.
    Google Maps

Funky Ghost likes this.
  10. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I used to gig with this rig. For years. I thought it was perfect. Awhile back, call it nostalgia, I picked up Transporter cabs to leave at different rehearsal spots. They took a poop within a month of each other. One of these days, I'm gonna go through and use the good speakers to make one decent cab, but only use it at home.

(I also had the matching 15, but that was before I joined TB.)

two fingers likes this.
  11. Funky Ghost

Ok, that's not so bad. What, 45 minutes from Santa Cruz? Been awhile since I went that direction from Santa Cruz... probably since I lived there way back in the 80s :D Shrimp boil?? Hmmm that is mighty strong bribe material for my gal :)

HolmeBass likes this.
  12. idorky

idorky

Dec 27, 2006

that's a treat,

13. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Probably more like 30 min from SC.
    There will be good food, a bunch of great, quirky bands, good folks and good beer (several brewers in attendance).
    Not that I'm trying to entice you, bass brother... :D

wave rider and Funky Ghost like this.
  14. Funky Ghost

I'm going to, for sure, be in that neck of the woods in Oct when my gal and I are on our 2nd Honeymoon :D We want to return to the scene of the love crime. I think we're shooting for the weekend of the 13th.

kesslari likes this.
  15. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Nice! I'll just be getting back from India (work trip) and expect to be rather shagged and jetlagged.
    2nd honeymoons rock!

Funky Ghost likes this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Were the speakers replacements? :D

17. Funky Ghost

I desperately want to go to India. Not sure I'll ever be fully prepared for the noise and the press of people but it's at or near the top of bucket list countries for me.

HolmeBass likes this.
  18. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Funny moment when a few months ago, I played a fill in gig at a fundraiser. Multiple band type of thing (being in a cover band I dont usually play multi-band gigs anymore). Nice big outdoor stage, pro sound system. I didnt really think to check out what was there as far as a rig when I got there. Our time comes up and the guy who is in the "headlining band" and providing the backline, comes over to get me up to speed. I ask if he wants me to use my small rig while I am getting out my bass...a Wal MKI. He says "no...use mine, this is a really good rig". I walk over and its a Berhinger combo. Speakers are the Hartke aluminum knock-offs. Im not knocking Berhringer, and the sound was...eh, passable. He looks at my bass and goes..."oh, wow".

I have a charity gig tomorrow and have no idea what Ill be running through, so Ill make sure to take my DI.

19. TideSwing

TideSwing Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2014
    NJ
    Congrats - it's always nice to be able to be supplied with good gear.

I played a fly-in festival gig and since it was a first for me I wasn't sure how I was going to transport my bass. Since I got booked an economy seat and extra baggage wasn't covered I decided not to even bring my bass. The backline sheet provided showed a Music Man 4, a Music Man 5 and an SVT 8x10 with a choice of a GK1001RBs or SVT-II heads. The only thing I brought was my wireless and a tuner. When I got there I was shocked to find symmetrical setups on each side of the stage - an 8x10 with both heads on top to choose from. It worked out great - the MM5 setup played great and the sound was awesome.

HolmeBass, kesslari and TuneIn like this.
  20. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    About a month ago we did a show with 2 other bands as a favor to 1 of the bands as the guitarist is a friend and a really cool dude. We played last and I had my GK 700rb II with 2 NEO 112 cabs.

Right before they started I realized that the bass player for the 2nd band was about to use a rinky dink Behringer combo while his bands guitarist were both going to be using half stacks. I kind of felt bad for him since my rig was there, but there was no time to set mine up for him.

They played and all I could hear was massive distorted mids from that combo trying to keep up with the 2 half stacks. :rollno:

Afterwards I asked him if he could hear himself and he started going on and on about how much he loved that combo and it's tone. :eek:

I know everyone hears things differently, but that one really surprised me.