Not a big deal but...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jimbo, Apr 17, 2001.

1. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hey guys. I got this audition coming up. These guys are real musicians with a lot of talent. They need a bass player and I'm going for it. The problem is that there are others trying out too. I always practice harmonizing and scales and all that godd stuff (like a real bassist should!). But these other people can do a lot of cool soloing and stuff. I know I would be more appreciated for my musical abilities, but i need to "wow" them. Do you guys hav anything that i could "show-off"' with? Any advice you could give me I'd really appreciate. Hopefully it's tabbed out here on TB.

Thanx guys!
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    What types of music does the band play?
  3. You want to show off. Be able to play the grooves and don't worry about the extra crap.

Your a bass player, worry about the groove.
  4. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    The band plays jazz, blues, and funk for the most part.
  5. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Gotta agree with Gruff. If they're as good as you say, then they won't just be impressed by someone showing off their chops for the sake of it - show them you can interact with them musically, and lay down a solid groove, and that'll give you a better chance than showing off. I'm sure that they're looking for someone to hold down the bottom end while they go off on solos, so just concentrate on doing that as well as you can.
  6. ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Gotta go with Gruff and Yawnsie on this one. Ever see the guy at the red light that squeals his tires because the car next to him is full of busty blondes? Show off. You will probably look just as stupid.

However, when you are warming up could be good time to shine.
  7. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    In that case I'll agree with the others, keep the groove. If they played a lot of Korn then I'd have advised to make sure your bass matches your outfit. :D
  8. Yeah I agree with the views here, stick to nailing down the groove, be one with the drummer and I think that that will make you shine because you'll be the easiest one to integrate into the band. Once in then you an open your shoulders a bit

9. Play "A Show of Hands" by Victor Wooten and you'll get it. Just kiddin'. Grooving with the rest of the band will help you get in.
  10. Keep the groove...keep the groove...keep the groove and if all else fails...keep the groove!!!
  11. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Provide a solid swinging groove.As Muddy Waters said "don't count it,feel it".Blues requires that you have that "triplet quarter note" feel down so that you can feel it in your sleep.that doesn't mean every quarter note is played as a triplet,but that the notes combined with the rests equal a 3 beat to a quarter.we call it,perhaps erroneously,12/8 time.maybe 12/12 is more accurate.

This is only for the songs that call for that time,however,not all do_Once a month,we do a gig where I play guitar and a guitarist friend plays bass.(I have to lead singing,and can't do it the way I want while playing bass).It's really comforting and assuring that the bass is there behind me to define the chords and movements,for lack of a better word,of the tunes.The more solid the better.