1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

... Not a Heavy Bass Guitar...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Yowa77, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Yowa77

Yowa77

Aug 30, 2010
    Hi guys I'm new on this... but I'm thinking to make a Bass Guitar for me... but I want a Light Bass...

What kind of wood do you recommend ???

I'm thinking to do it semihollow inside the body to take some weight out... Is that a good idea???

Peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Chambering is too much work for your first. Start simple and build upon that. Basswood, light Ash, some Cherries can be low weight as well.

3. A lot of people have issues with it, but I like basswood. Bongos are lightweight and sound awesome. You can make it solid and keep it light too.

4. Sorry, I have to disagree. My first one was chambered and came out fine :). Great way to save some weight!

5. Balsa is the lightest wood I know of.

6. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    Paulownia

7. Stone Age

Stone Age

Apr 13, 2008
    Connecticut
    make it 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" thick instead of however thick regular basses are. That will cut a lot of weight. You can make it out of pretty much anything at that point.

8. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Poplar would be cool IMO, not super light but still light. I wouldnt chamber either, theres enough to concentrate on without having to do that the first time around. Not saying its not possible, just it may put you off building if it goes boobies up.

9. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Chambering is more work in that you not only have to more precisely lay everything out (pickups, neck and bridge... have to be sure there's enough "meat" there to support the various components), but using most normal construction methods, you also have to glue on a separate top or back. It *can* be done on your first, but it's something you might want to save for a later build.

Use basswood or poplar, with a plain hard maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard. It shouldn't weight a ton, and should work out pretty well. All of the above woods are fairly easy to work with.

10. chiselhead

chiselhead

Mar 18, 2009
    Knox, New York
    I have done a few out of butternut that were lightweight. And don't forget pine, not very flashy but nonetheless light weight.

11. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    My first build was semi-hollow, but I did spend time planning it out and half built a test case to be sure I had the right idea.

Keep in mind though, the lighter you make the body the more likely you are to have neck dive issues. So make sure you design the upper horn accordingly...