Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Microbass, Sep 3, 2002.

1. *cries*:(

TWO E strings in a WEEK!

OK, so anyway.. I'm thinking of going back to D'Addario's, sicne I can get them for 17 bucks on eBay, so I need a lil help on what the EXL170 and the EXL220 sound/feeel like.

Thanks in advance..

Maybe I shoudl buy a new bridge... *cries some more*
  2. maybe you need a new bridge or saddle, but maybe you're just playing too hard. do you use a pick? if so, there's no need to pound the string. just turn up your amp.
  3. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    i personally despise d'addario strings. what kind of strings were you using? go with some of those blud steels or those coated strings, IMO.
  4. I use a 3 MM stubby, and I keep my amp up loud so that I play softly.

D'Addario's have been equal best so far, next to the Rotosound Bronze's that Dude sent me a while back, of which I just broke the E. :eek:

I'm looking for some major punch, on a bass that has next to none :), with a pure heavy hint of CRRRRRUNCH! full treble, 3/4 bass. aaahhh :D

Well, I order the 170's, becuase I found out that I'd already tried the 220's, not bad, but they last me 2 weeks, just after I got them to a great tone! :mad:

Ah well, once I get the 170's in, I'mma' gunna' make the saddles nice n clean. Any other suggestions?

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, i play with a pick, pund the hell out of them to get that tone i like sometimes, you know, listen to the intro to tool's hush and see what i mean, and no, he is not slapping. just plucking really hard with a pick, but to get to the point, ive had the same strings on that thing for 3 years, and i beat the CRAP out of them, i mean, when i look at them, it looks like they should snap in half! So, see if your bridge has any rough edge's? maybe your stronger than me? SIT's are good....
  6. Yep, I'd recommend giving SITs a try. I prefer the Powerwounds.

You should definitely get your bridge saddles checked though.
  7. OK well, here's what I got to say:

Took a few days to get them going, especially the G, was very metallic, but now they are great!

Tone is very nice and versitiale (SP!!!!) with fingers/pick and different settings on the amp!