Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Not All female bassists are Eye Candy!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ShockBlueXterra, Jun 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I read a post the other day where a poster said he didnt respect female bassists cuz they were just eye candy... Well.. here are my 2 cents ! I am a female bassplayer, but I am not eye candy.. I play in an all guy band because I love to play.. I dont wear sexy clothes at all...I wear baggy jeans and t-shirts.....Thank you.
    Caroline:D

2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I would agree, but so what? It's how you play that's important, not what you look like, which is a good thing for most of the MEN on this forum (including me!). When it comes to what you do and how well you do it, gender doesn't matter. I know, I know that't not how the buying public thinks, but, again, I say so what?? I know a few female bass players here and they rock. If they are attractive (totally subjective BTW)it's nice but it has nothing to do with their ability to play bass. Once you get to know someone their looks don't seem to matter anymore anyway.

For a comment like that, put that person on your ignore list.:D

3. Thank you. I have been playing for 9 yrs almost 10 and some ppl still dont give us the respect we deserve.

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    It should be about ear candy and not eye candy.

If you want some eye candy, go to a strip joint.

Thank you MTV - this is your fault!

5. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    As long as you can play well, who cares what you look like. I saw this girl playing bass at a show I went to when I lived in CT, and she was a pretty good bassist. She had a nice slap solo in one of the songs(It was a hardcore band) but her mids were to scooped to punch through enough for the rest of the songs. I've seen a couple of really good bassists that are female, and I was teaching one in CT to play(Starting her off with the correct hand positioning of her fretting hand and giving her songs to work on, also telling her not to be afraid to play whats inside, rather then chugging the root notes.)... I hope she's still at it.. Anyways.

Women in bands should be considered valid members of the band, not just eyecandy. Appearances will fool those who connect it with the way someone plays.

6. Uncle Fat

Uncle Fat Guest

Mar 14, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I think you're always going to run into that attitude. Some people are just morons. Rhonda Smith can blow away most of the "men" on this board, but she's still looked at by many as "eye candy".

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I think its fairly safe to say the majority of us here men and woman alike admire both male & female bassists more for how well they play the instrument.

The opinion of one and the small few that probably posted in that thread does not represent the majority of men here who would think that.

Jay and I are usually pretty good at spotting and shutting down threads like that. If we missed it please help us out and use the report this post to a mod function.

These type of threads usually have very little if any useful knowlege to offer. They often result in one big and for lack of better terms bitch session. You're better off either not posting in them or using the ignore feature. They almost always get closed.

By all means please feel free to post about Rhonda, Talena, and your other influances though.

Much Love
    Mama Cass :bassist:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.