Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

not another bongo thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pil101, Nov 30, 2003.

1. pil101

pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    i was watching Bowie's bassist gail ann dorsey on a live concert shown on tv tonight. she used a bongo for a few songs. the tone sounded pretty decent, of course this is deceptive. i am definitely not a fan of the look of the bass but i cant wait to hear it. i must say, she gets some good tone out of her rig; great player also. she also used a Pbass that sounded wonderful through her ampeg 8x10.

they will be replaying the concert on 12/6 at 10:30pm on "CN8 Presents" in the south jersey area. anyone else see it?

2. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I've seen it a few times. It's been in regular rotation on DirectTV all month. It sounded good but looked like crap in my opinion. Interesting to note that she played the version with only the single humbucker. She played it on a few songs but mostly played a black Ernie Ball Stingray 5 string which sounded great as well. She also played an MTD 535 as well as what appeared to be a Pre-CBS Fender P-Bass.

For my money she sounded best on the old P-Bass played pick style.

She's a great player for sure but it almost looked like she was fretting notes with her thumb it was so far over the board.

3. Here's Gail and Dan Lakland.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Well, the Bongo look either does it for you or it doesn't, but I can say with some authority that the tone on the dual humbucker model is just unbelievable.

With just the bridge pickup, it sounds like a Stingray (something the SR5 doesn't really do all that well, although I love my SR5), but then turn the knob and blend in some neck humbucker and it is an entirely new animal.

Given that, I don't know why anyone would choose the single humbucker model but then again Gail probably got a deal/endorsement from MM to play the thing.

I think if all goes well this week, I'm going to be looking to pick up a Bongo 4.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I was up in NYC for the holiday. The first bass I saw on a Macy's parade float was... a Bongo!

(I forget which float.... Clay Aiken, maybe?)

6. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    It as the bassist for Hillary Duff

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

That's right... thanks!

My confusion was because some people next to me were saying "Hillary Clinton's float is coming up", and I didn't realize they were joking (but they didn't *sound* like they were joking ... :p )

8. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    for my sanity, I tried to ignore Hillary and focus on the Bongo

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Lakin, you mean. :D

I played a 4 string Bongo at GC and it's a pretty nifty bass. Real fast neck too. I could get used to the shape, but it would take some time.