Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Not Another Fieldy Thread...........

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CaracasBass, Mar 15, 2002.

1. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Hey guys,

Last nite I went to Korn-Papa Roach´s show in the Caracas POP Festival (Venezuela). I must say I had a great time with my friends and really enjoyed the show.
    As everybody here knows.... we hate FiElDy, but what´s the real reason for that??? Well, I´ve always said that HE is a really bad bass player, but after seein and hearing him, I must say that he sucks big time. :eek:

Man, Korn isn´t my favorite band, but I like some tunes, and they have a great live show and sound, so why for god sake they have this POSER-WANNA-BE-A-BAD GUY like fiEldY "playing" the bass?????. Sure he´s got a big and impressive sound, but his strinking-everything-as-hard-as-you-can technic is the best example of lack of technic at all. Now I see what HE ment when he said: "I never practice, I don´t need to practice".

On the other hand, the guy in Papa Roach, besides of having the biggest collection of cool Laklands that I ever saw (Like one bass per song), has a full yet simple sound, and plays very tastefully.

Well, those where my 3 cents of the day:D :D

2. Im not a huge fan of Korn or Fieldy, but I've always thought his "bass" tone goes well with Korn's original sound. Maybe they think so too, and that's why they put up with obvious lack of talent and annoying wannabe gangster attitude.

I've always the guy from Papa Roach's tone as well, its probably the only thing I like about the band.

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Well we all have our own opinions on feidly, but if you make your opinion very open and subject to criticism, be preparted to back your arguments.

Tobin Esperance on the other hand, the bassist from Papa Roach, is one of my favourite bassists. He does have a VERY extensive range of Laklands, but they are mostly all black! Plain and boring IMO, but he is a very talented bassist none-the-less. What songs did Papa Roach play? Were they good? They are one of the most under-rated bands in a while IMO. Well, hope ya had fun, and you should concider yourself lucky to have seen them, because down here in Australia, NO ONE COMES OUT!:( :(

-Phill:p

4. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    No man, he played some really cool blue, amber and sunburst basses.... not only black

Fieldy also used his new Ibanez signature series, nice looking bass, though.

They play some new songs from their upcoming album, so it was cool .......

check the song list:
    M-80, Blood Brothers, Angels and Insects, Never Enough, Life is a Bullet, Babedwise, Code of Enemy, Sid, Broken Home, Dead Cell, Time + Time Again, Born with nothing die every things, Binge y Last resort.

5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Man, i would have been in heaven. You should concider yourself as one of the luckiest B*****DS on the face of the earth at the moment....:D ;)

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I KNOW...........:rolleyes:

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I suppose this thread was posted here to give Cassanova some relief from Fieldy threads.

Sorry, this is still about a bassist, of sorts, so that's where this thread is going.

Sorry, Cass. Nothing personal.:)

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I wonder why nobody knows I'm a moderator?

When I saw both Fieldy and Esperance live with their respective bands, both had better bass tone than on their cds. Fieldy, though he was terribly stoned, didn't sound terrible (but he did play pretty badly), and Esperance just had killer punchy low-midrangy tone that totally cut through and hit you in the chest. I was really, really impressed.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

its all good BW

10. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    You´r rigth.... his tone was HUGE, and really cut thru the mix. Although Korn sounded way better than Para Roach, I liked the feeling of those 4 guys on stage.

11. Ciaran

Ciaran

Apr 4, 2001
    Ireland
    no avatar ,y'see.

12. Dammit, Angus! You give me a perfect opportunity to make fun of you and I can't think of anything to say! :( :D

13. WordIsBorn79

WordIsBorn79

Jan 10, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    You cats are always dissin' Fieldy. Get a life. I don't think he has skills on bass either, but he invented his own sound. Give him some credit. So what if he "plays too hard". So what if he says, "I don't practice. I don't need to practice." So what if he says, "Take those mids and them them the hell off!"

WHO CARES? GET REAL.

He plays bass in a band. Moreover, he plays bass. If that's what he wants to do, he soudl be able to do it his way, and not the way WE think he should. Damn it, I hate "diss" forums.

14. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN

You said it best, brother
    :cool:

15. They've been delaying thier new album for A YEAR! They've had about 5 exuses since then. I heard from a guy who knows a guy who works for Epic, said that Korn wanted to add some more variety to the bass lines so they hired a writer to compose some bass parts for the new album and just have Fieldy learn them. So maybe we'll be instore for something interesting!

16. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Hey, I´m just giving my point of view here... if you don´t like it..... well

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If you don't care, why is it necessary to get so worked up about it?

18. WordIsBorn79

WordIsBorn79

Jan 10, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Listen, all I'm saying is that I think forums that specifically diss one bassist are lame. You are allowed to give your point of view; that's understandable. However, think of it this way: would you like it if you, a rock star bassist, saw a forum on TalkBass that's soul purpose was do diss your ass. I don't know about all you guys, but I'd be upset. Fieldy isn't good at all, and that's my word, but c'mon...starting a thread to diss him? :confused:

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    It's impossible for me to take much out of your point because you're speaking in such absolutes. You said that this forum's "soul purpose" is to diss Fieldy. I must've missed that rule, and certainly not to many people abide by it here. Fieldy definitely isn't a big name around here, but it's not because people "diss" him much. They don't talk any worse about him than they would any other player during discussion. However, the reason why he isn't a big name around here is because of the type of people that tend to bring him up (in worship threads, etc) haven't exactly been the highest quality individuals. It's old talkbass history. However, it doesn't mean that someone cannot come here and speak their mind or praise the bassist they like, even if it's Fieldy.

I don't understand your point, because anyone is allowed to speak their mind on any subject as long as what they said is within the forum guidelines (ie, as long as it contains common courtesy). I highly doubt it's sole purpose is to "diss fieldy". A man spoke his mind. Yes, he did say he "sucks big time", but it's just his own opinion after seeing him live. I can understand it's borderline, but it is just an opinion. If we all agreed with each other and only spoke praise of everyone and everything, there would be no point for discussion. See?:)

20. WordIsBorn79

WordIsBorn79

Jan 10, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Point taken.