Not Another Jaco Thread!!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RaijohAUlik, Mar 27, 2002.

1. No, this thread won't deal with how great or overrated you think this bassist is.

I wasn't sure which thread to put this in, so I figured Bassists would be just as good.

Actually, I love his music and I'd like to learn it. So I'm humbly heading over to and Voila! On the very front page they have Jaco Pastorius - The Greatest Jazz Fusion Bass Player - Bass Tab Book. Gah!

I've always wanted to learn Birdland, Teen Town, Donna Lee, etc. However, I HATE TaBz with a great fiery passion. Now, do most of these music books come with actually sheet music and then tabs written below? I don't want to end up purchasing a book full of tab-crap. That would ruin that day and the following day.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I know most of the books sold have the sheet music in it with the TABs written below(yuk). But I'm not positive about it. If I see it, I'll let you know later.
  3. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
  4. Hey thanks man.

I read up on it, the book has transcriptions AND tablature.

Of course, I have the essential Anti-Tab tools with me in my very room.

A Sharpie marker and scotch tape.

I tape over the tablature part (so as to prevent the bleeding of the ink from page to page) and then go over the tape 2-4 times with the Sharpie marker, making the entire thing BLACK.
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, sean malone wrote one of those books. he was the bassist and founder of cynic. very very cool band.
  6. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
  7. buckethdd

Jan 15, 2002
    SF, CA
    sean malone wasn't actually the founder of cynic. He joined the band during the recording of Focus, there one and only full length album. They had a couple of demos before that with Tony Choy on bass. The founder was Paul Masvidal, guitarist and singer. You are right about them being a great band...great mix, even with the two guitars.