Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Not another Sadowsky fight: 25 Anniversary models tonewise.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by michele, Aug 25, 2005.

1. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Since Roger started the 25 Anniversary models thing I've waiting here on Talkbass about a good review/comparison between the 25Anniversary models and the "usual" ones. I'm specially interested on the tonal differences due to the mahogany/koa body wood.
    Unfortunately in recent times Sadowsky threads ended up with some flames! :meh:
    So I'm callin' here the lucky ones that own (or experienced) both to share their thoughts about the tonal difference between 25Anniversary basses and NYC (or Metro) ones (of course compare JJ to JJ and 24F to 24F).
    Thanks everyone!

2. I think you might have a hard time finding someone with both a 25th anniversary and the identical 24 or vintage model to compare it to. It would be interesting, though. I had the pleasure of playing Tom Bowlus' 25th 24 fret and it was very nice... very modern sounding and smooth. From my memory of playing another 24 fret with the standard body (I believe ash), the sound was very similar. However, it's hard to A/B across time like that. I really liked Tom's bass... those 24 fret models are not really the 'classic' Sadowsky sound that most of us think about, but they are really nice... very clean, crisp hi-fi type treble and smooth mids, etc.

3. Now why would anyone pay.... doh! :D

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Conversely, I got to play Ken and Steve's Sadowsky J-basses, but of course, they are a different sounding instrument. I have not played another 24F 5-string, so I really don't know how it differs from the "standard" 24F 5-string. All I know is that I like it! :D

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've owned both 24 fret and 21 fret Sadowskys, and while there is a difference in tone, I think they're more similar than dis-similar. To me, the electronics give it the Sadowsky tone, specificly the preamp, so my guess would be that in this specific thread, the difference between the 25th models from the traditional models would be rather slight. It's still going to retain the classic Sadowsky tone with some mild tonal differences, but my guess it that it's not going to be wildly different than the others.

6. If that's the case, then the 25th anniversary sounds WAY different than the standard models. Tom's 24 fret 25th didn't sound at all or even close to my Sadowsky NYC Vintage Alder/Maple or Burke's Sadowsky NYC Maple/Ash. Tom's bass sounded absolutely wonderful, but did not have a J-Bass thing going at all... much more 'humbucker' and moderns sounding to my ear... very smooth. Sounds like it's time for someone to do a direct shoot-out. I hope you are out there!

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

After playing the 25th Anniversary 24 fret Sadowsky and all the Maple/Swamp Ash 24 fret 5 strings i would say the the 25th Anniversary has sweeter mids and clearer high end due to the ebony fingerboard and mahogany body.Their really awesome sounding and beautiful looking instruments.

8. Cool! Just so I make sure I'm not nuts.... the 24's with those soapbars do sound relatively different than the more J Style 21 fret instruments, or was it the mah/ebony wood that we were hearing.

9. MAJOR METAL

Yeah their is a signicant sonic diffrence between the Soapbars and the Jazz Pickups but the mahgony/ebony has its own unique tonal character that adds to the equation.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks for clarifying! The beauty of it is, that I'm pretty confident that Ken and I each prefer the sounds of the particular Sadowsky's which we both happen to own! :p

Tom.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    just to add to that,

the 25th sounds almost like a more revved up higher "fi'ed" version of my maple/ash 24F. more articulation in the upper mids, and more low end. was quite impressed with the 25th line.

12. I do love the J Bass type sound, but man, your 24 sounds really good! It is a different, non-Fender vibe, but that's good also! I think if I was doing one of Roger's 24's, I'd see if I could come up with the bread for the Mahogany body and Ebony board, which as everyone has pointed out, refines the sound even more. That being said, I don't think I would prefer that same 'refinement' for Rogers standard J Bass type thing (i.e., the 25th 21 fret would seem to take that basses sound in a direction I wouldn't particularly want to go).

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Good point!

Tom.

14. MAJOR METAL

Yeah if you can get one go for it :bassist:

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you guys can help me talk my wife into letting me buy another 5-24, I'll get an alder one in olympic white and get back to you on the A/B.

16. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I thought the sound of Tom's 25th was in between the "all out" aggressiveness of your Celinder and the "Vintage Vibe" of the NYC Jazz models. It was a very sweet bass, and like Munji, I would be more then willing to add one to the arsenal if anyone wants to start "taking up a collection". I would be real interested to compare "apples to apples" like a 25th J-model to a std. NYC. But I am more then happy with my NYC, it is hard to put down.

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Good analogy. That sounds about right to me.

Tom.