Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Not another tube head thread- Oh well

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 7thbass, Apr 19, 2005.

1. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    Was at GC last week and played a modern V4b with ampeg classic 4X10.

Holy samolians. That thing sounded great- full, authoritative, and round. And for 100w, sure was loud.

How does the Traynor yba200 compare to the non-vintage V4b in terms of volume and tone? I am not in a place where I can try one out.

Am now seriously considering a tube head if can be heard (on stage with PA mostly) with Avalon 2X12 over three fender bassmans, keyboard and med-loud drummer.

Any thoughts?

2. I think you may have trouble keeping up volume wise with all of that going on. Also, I have found the v4b to get a little too dirty too early for my liking. Do a quick search, there was a very good review of the traynor head on here a while ago i think.

Maybe a tube pre and a good power amp would be a good direction to look, do a quick search though for the traynor head and the v4b.

3. I used a V4B for quite a while back in the 70's. It sounded GREAT for about an hour, and then as the gig got louder and the tubes got hotter, it really started to crap out. IMO, you need a LOT more than 100 watts in a tube amp if you are dealing with significant stage volume.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    :rollno: But that won't get the same sound.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd take the Traynor over the Ampeg. The Traynor sounds very similar to the Ampeg sound (if you want it to) but it is more powerful than the V4B, and a bit more versitle.