Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Not another Warwick thread!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'm beginning to realize I hae the strangest love/hate relationship with my Warwick. Sometimes it feels great and sounds great, other times I feel like I'm wrestiling with it - and all it's putting out is a muddy thumping sound. I think the truth is I still can't handle it. I play pretty hard most of the time and I think that Warwicks want to be caressed. If I'm in the right mood and I'm not ripping into it, I think I have a good go of it.

I wonder though. All my other basses seem pretty consistent. I know what to expect when I take them out to play. When I use the Warwick I always have to bring a backup cuz I don't know what mood it's going to be in.

Also, as much as I hate it sometimes I feel it's my only bass that truly has a spirit, almost as if it's alive. This may be because it was my first "real" bass - or possibly because I'm nuts.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have a fretless Thumb and a fretted (EBMM) Stingray 5. The two different natures complement each other (and me). I play the one I feel like (or more suitable to the music).

I do see what you are getting at though. I have a love/hate relationship with my 5. At the moment its my favourite bass.

One thing I did with the Thumb was replace the pups and harness for an Alembic one. Its not to everyones taste but I thinks its an improvement.

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I was told I play very "HARD" by this really good guest guitarist who played a few tunes in our last show. He said my playing was very solid but that it looked like I was hard on the strings.

Sometimes I get the purrrfect tone from the Thumb. Other times, I realize I'm playing super aggressively and not getting the tone I like.

I can't be delicate. I can't hold back. That's why I don't play golf either.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    as i get older and more experienced, i play lighter. when i got my first warwick back in 98, i had the action pretty high, and played really hard. my SSII now 4 years later has much lower action, because i've adapted to not playing as hard (i still play hard, just not as hard) and i feel that the SSII plays more consistantly, and is overall better.

i think warwicks have a big dynamic range within them, and a lot of tones you can get just with different use of your hands.

jason

5. Yeah, playing hard just makes you louder and harsher. IMO i think the amp should do the work. I only play hard and heavier bits but then i always use distortion in the heavy parts so the tone doesnt really make a difference.

sim

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've gotten the most consistant tone out of my Stage 1, it's NEVER let me down, but as for the rest of my Warwicks, sometimes you don't know what you're going to get. That's just from my experiences. I recorded with my Thumb BO 4, and went back the next day, and ended up using another bass, beceause, for some reason, it didn't have that vibe from the previous day. Maybe it was me. :confused:

7. Flatwound4

Flatwound4

Nov 28, 2001
    I think the best way to play as far as right hand technique goes is to vary you attack, depending on what else is going on in the song, and how loud everyone else is playing. Sometimes, if I'm asked to turn up or turn down, I won't adjust the nobs on my bass or amp. Instead I'll just change the way I'm plucking the strings.