Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Not bass-related, but Pedro-related

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by DanNowhere, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Hiya Mike,

I was sitting here doing my usual morning TalkBass check before I head out to work, and another report came on the news about the west coast longshormen's lockout. I'm a Customs broker, and this is something I've been paying close attention to, although I'm not sure how much the rest of middle America has been watching this.

A random thought occured to me, since Pedro is one of the port cities being affected by this, just wondering what the general mood was out there, and if any of your family or friends is being affected by this thing. I know there have been strikes and lockouts at the ports before, but this one seems particularly ugly, because the union really feels that a lot of jobs are in jeopardy this time. Just curious if you had a take on the situation.

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

the trouble here w/the bosses locking out the longshoremen is very heavy. my drummer and organ player in the secondmen work on the docks. it's effecting a lot of folks in town here and it's very troubling. I see them on the picket lines when I pedal each morning and makes me sad but these things happen and hopefully folks will have the strength and determination to weather through it. I want a fair settlement where everyone can say it's ok. we're talking about families and lives here. heavy times for my town here in pedro.

on bass, watt

3. I agree, I hope this works out quickly. It's an major hassle for me and my customers, but my sympathies lie with the dockworkers on this one. I'm just a working schlub like most of America, and I hate to see anyone get screwed. From what I've read, it sounds like the ILWU is firmly behind its people, and isn't backing down.

I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention, though. If this thing lingers on, people will start to notice, especially when they start doing their Xmas shopping.

My best to your friends, I hope things work out quickly for their sake.

4. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

I wish I could say I was suprised but in these times, lots of things get little attention while other things are hyped to death.

I think it's smart to get infos from many different sources. this is something the internet can help out. one needs to keep a critical mind open, I would say.

on bass, watt