1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Not bonding with my BEFPro any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fisticuffs, Mar 8, 2013.

1. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Well it's been a couple of months. I replaced my MXR envelope with the Source Audio. Had dreams of synthy HotHand acrobatics and so many sounds I wouldn't know what to do with them but currently I'm struggling to make anything sound as good with my rig as my MXR did. With a fuzz on in front of it I can hear the effect a bit better but with it off only the most extreme settings come through. And forget about the HH I probably just haven't figured it out but I can't get anything useful out of it and I use the term "useful" pretty liberally here.

Am I not hitting the pedal with enough signal? Does anyone use a Radial Dragster? I think maybe that's part of my problem.

I have the wired ring does the wireless one do a much better job? Really want this thing to fly. I have two cover bands and a huge variety of tunes to get funky on. Really hoping this is the right tool but I'm considering going back to the MXR for tonight's gig.

2. If it's not working for ya', flip it! I can't comment on the pedal itself because I've never tried it, but that's the general consensus around here.

3. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Yeah considering that I just still REALLY want to like it. In fact I want more SA on my pedal board but this hasn't been a good start. Really curious about impedance and signal level on my pedal board and the wireless v. wired HH.

4. Try sending a PM to Smallequestrian or rsmith601 (president of Source Audio).

5. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    I have a couple suggestions. First, tweak the EQ to bring out more mid and top end signals. This really brings out the flips and flops of the filter more. Second, go into the back page menu and adjust the Q. You can make the effect more extreme by increasing this value. I also find that I need to use my bridge pickup on my dual humbucker bass in order to make it sing. I am sure single coils play nicer with effects. You may also want to tweak the frequency knob with your lower stings to bring out the sweeps. This pedal is incredibly deep, and great sounds are available.

6. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    I've used both and there is no difference between wired/wireless Hothand controllers.

That said, I find the BEF Pro capable of many sounds....BUT, if it isn't working for you, flip!

7. zwkoch

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    There is a minor difference given the smooth and depth controls on the wireless receiver.

8. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    This is good stuff. I play an ASAT bass usually with both pickups going. Will try it with just the bridge and adjust the EQ. I was also thinking of replacing my awful Hartke Attack pedal with an MXR M80 so I could have the EQ but also a little drive. it seems like the drive is huge before the BEF. Anyone play the Source Bass Distortion?

9. zwkoch

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    I have the SB2 MWBD. Running it before the BEF is killer. It also makes the wobbles a lot more fun. It took me a long time to work out the hot hand technique, so I understand your frustration.

10. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Zwkoch has some good tips ther.

I almost never use the BEF pro or any other filter without some kind of distortion in front. Part of this is I just like the sound better, but a lot of basses don't have the dynamic range by themselves (especially while playing finger style) to open the envelope.

The Source Bass Multiwave is great, but almost any good bass oriented distortion will do well for you. I have a Multiwave, but I also have a separate fuzz and overdrive pedal as I like some variety.

11. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Bought the M80 and have the volume up full blast. Major improvement already plus I get a nice little distortion to add in without messing with the settings on my fuzz.

12. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    Definately experiment with some stuff in front of it before you flip it. Octave, up/down stuff works good to. Solo the BEF Pro is subtle for sure, but feed it something and you will understand why it's so popular. I've been meaning to put my sansamp in front of it.