1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Not coated strings but...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by deecher99, Mar 27, 2009.

1. deecher99

deecher99

Mar 27, 2009
    I went into GC a few months ago and almost was tempted enough to trade in my P-Bass for a sweet natural finish J-Bass but happily decided against it. I think part of the reason I liked the bass so much was the strings on the bass. They weren't coated strings (I have DR Black Beauties on my P-Bass) but seemed like they were wrapped in thread or something so they didn't have a metal feel to them at all. Can someone point me in the direction of what these strings could be? They sounded so warm against the maple fretboard. I believe the strings were red if I recall correctly. Thanks for your help and I hope I don't come off as a noob with this question!

2. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Elixirs, probably?

3. the engine

the engine Guest

When you say they were "red" do you mean that the whole string was red or just the wrap around the end(s)? GHS Boomers (if I remember correctly) have a red thread wrap around the END of the strings.

4. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    The TI flats have red silk wrapping on them, any chance they were flatwounds?

5. deecher99

deecher99

Mar 27, 2009
    The strings were red all the way down, not just the tips. And I'd love to say they were flatwounds, but I only know flatwounds by name not by touch. I think that might be though because they did not feel like round wounded strings at all.

6. crayzee

crayzee

Feb 12, 2009
    Mississauga, ON
    If they felt very smooth, they're flats. There's a very distinct difference between rounds and flats. ;)

7. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    if the strings were red, they were coated

8. deecher99

deecher99

Mar 27, 2009
    I think you're right justopenyourmind. They must have been nylon wrapped strings similar to what you mentioned. If this has a real jazz tone, would this be a good string for playing rock music on a P-Bass?