not comfortable.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WillySanchez, Oct 24, 2002.

1. I am a jazz bass fanatic. i love they way they sound, but lately i cant get comfortable with it. first i put up higher on the strap so im able to reach the upper register notes easier...then i hurts my wrist to play some of the lower notes, so i sling it lower, the im not happy with my access to the higher notes....grrr...this is you have any idea how many times i have to adjust my strap during practice? any advice?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I do this all the time too, and I don't have a J.
    Most of the time I use the same height, but I always feel "maybe a little higher/lower" - it's unnerving. :D
  3. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    same here. I suppose you should - besides guitar height - consider trying different angles. My bass is reasonably high and stays that way, but I do change it`s angle and relative body position a lot.
  4. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    i often have this problem, its probably one of those things you just have to get used to.

sometime at practice though it never bothers me, maybe you just have to get into the spirit.....damn now im talking pretty weird.....ill go before it gets worse...

5. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Try this instead - find a way to make your bass sit more upright rather than raising or lowering it. Note that you may need to move the strap pin to do this effectively.
  6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I know this may sound funny but if you watch any professional you will notice that his hands probably move less than your's, this is because he is playing in what we call in position. when you play in position you play across the neck and not down the neck wasting effort and time. you also become economical with your hand and wrist movement thus finding more comfort due to less fatigue.Oh by the way I own 5 jazz basses and one RB5.
  7. Don't know how you play but . . .think like a DB player. Don't use one finger per fret in the lower positions. It helped me.