Not crazy about new Sansamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassyBill, May 19, 2005.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    My new Sansamp programmable bass DI just arrived. I bought it without trying one (yeah, yeah, I know) for 3 reasons:

1) I wanted something easy to use to give me a footswitchable boost for changes of tone/level within songs.
    2) A DI is always useful to have in your gig bag for going to straight to the desk in emergencies
    3) I could NOT find one to try over here in the UK :scowl:

Anyway, I just tried it out and I'm thinking "Well... okay I suppose". I mean, it will do the boost thing as above and serve as a decent quality DI, but it hasn't made the real impression on me that I may have expected judging from some of the reviews I've read. I tried it with my EMG equipped Jazz through my smaller Harke head (3000) and a 210. Haven't tried it with the bigger rig yet.

Don't get me wrong here, it' a nice quality unit and the sound isn't bad at all. I'm sure I'll use it quite a bit. It just hasn't knocked me out with the sort of WOW factor I was hoping for.

Anybody out there got some killer tips for dialling up real nice tones with this thing? And please, don't say "try before you buy" (see number 3 above). ;)
  2. If you use the "search" facilitiy, you will find lots and lots of threads dealing precisely with this topic with loads of suggested settings etc. :)

Just to repeat what I and others have said on probaly hundreds of occasions now:

The controls on the SABDDI are VERY sensitive and "a little goes a long way". Also, it does take time and experimentation to apprecaite the brilliance of this piece of kit so please persevere!! ;) ;)

You will be very glad you did.
  3. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Good point about the "Search"... I should have tried it first, you're right. Guess it was just impatience on my part, having waited to get the thing and then not being able to get it sounding great straight out of the box! I have looked at a lot of the threads about this unit before though, but now I have one to play with I'll look again.
  4. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    If it's any consolation it took me a good few months to learn to love mne. Spend some time going throught the presets- for once a company actually sudjests not bad ones. Some basses it reacts better with than others as it is v, sensetive to your input level, I tend to run a compressor just infront of it as it drives it the level I want.
    The Blend knob is a crucial determining factor and be conscious of your signal gaining too much lo end and going too muddy/ scooped. It really shines in a band situation, on it's own it's a pleasant addition but to me it gives me just the amount of grit Im looking for. I went trhough stacks of other pedals that weren't really doing anything but Fuzzing into obscurity in a mix.
  5. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    If you want to offload yours to a buyer in the UK I'll pick it up from you in JUly.
  6. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Very useful comments, thanks. I will persevere and try it in a gig situation when I've played around with it a while longer.

Therefore, not selling just yet!
  7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Have you tried it with a band ?
  8. I know what your meaning, it doesnt have that WOW factor, but i plugged mine in, played around with the settings for a while, and i thought, holy crap, ive just wasted my money on this, so i turned it off, and then my amp just sounded crap, you dont notice the difference til you take it away (well, something like that)

Ive got the old BDDI pedal, looking to get the programmable one now to replace it
  9. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    It took me almost a year to finally settle on a setting that was right for me. Don't give up, it's an awesome pedal when you find "your" sound in it. :)
  10. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK

EDIT I meant NEXT Wednesday...
  11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

You may change your mind then.
    Remember, controls do more than what they say.
    The bass/treble isn't just that.
  12. the bass and treble also control the midrange and how gritty or how rumbly the distorion acts, it is an ingenious pedal
  13. I don't know this new pedal, but I have the old steam driven one. The point about it is that it is best approached as a tone tweaker rather than a tone shaper. You start with the raw tone and add what you need. Small changes. Start by blending in a little of the effect. A little goes a long way.

It makes my mediocre 165 watt combo (a Laney) sound great.
  14. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)

5 months and still going on with taking all the juice out of my RBI. Also the "brilliance appreciation" started a while ago. But still a lot to discover. Keep an eye on the presence and blend controls as they're essential in transforming a nice sound into crapola or viceversa. Good luck!

15. have any of you tryed the new tech 21 sans amp, with the 3 programable channels, it looks pretty cool, im looking into getting one. what do u think about?
  16. sorry about that, i thought i started a new thread, im still new to this. whats the distortion like on the new sansamp?
  17. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    exactly the same as on the regular one, more of an od than a dist
  18. im saving up for this to use for recording and in live situations, is the di noisy? or is that all the same as the old one aswel?
  19. same as the old i think

Its the exact same cicuitry, only digital in how it stores the settings, so they are still run through an analogue system
  20. Play with the blend setting... I don't like blending it too much as it sucks my mids away. But it sounds great blended till around 9-10 o'clock.