Not cutting through the mix....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Well I am wondering when your just not cutting through what do you do besides turn volume up?
  2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Add mids, take out lows. Lows suck power and don't really tend to project.
  3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    and less compression if it is in use. I might also move my cabinets if this is a live environment we're talking about. I also move as far from my cab's as I can get.
  4. Go over to the guitar amp and turn down their low end when they aren't looking, lol!
  5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    +1 ... Lows compete in the frequency space with kick drums and low toms. Mids fit nicely in between the drums and guitar. Worked every time for me.
  6. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    LOL! I used to have to do this all the time in my old band. I would just kind of sneak over to the other side of the stage during his "lead" part and give the bass knob a tweek....:ninja: :ninja:

+1 on turning up the mids somewhat to cut through.

7. Cut at least 3 db from 120 and 250 hz. You might want to try even more of a cut at 250 to lessen boominess and increase the effectiveness of your volume increases.

Boost at least 3 db at 800 hz.

Go easy on any compression or tone "enhancers/adjusters".

Put your cabinets on an isolation pad (like a Gramma from Auralex) - they will help prevent your speaker cabinets from coupling with the stage (this equals lots of boom that doesn't cut and REALLY messes up the overall mix for the sound guy).

8. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    I found that in my years of playing touring etc. that it really depends on your mids, and your guitarists mid frequency.
    our guitarist was using a line 6 solid state for his distortion and it was smack in the same range as my bass rig. I finally made him sell it and get a mesa tremoverb and immediately my studio tone popped right out!!!!!!!!!! (gotta love the tubes!)
    I went through this with the guitarist in my last band who switched from a digitech valvestate to a mesa/vht/eventide setup.
    instant results!!
    good luck!
  9. Thanks. I will be cutting through like a hot butter through knive. Or something like that... haha (not funny, I know)
  10. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    800Hz is the magic frequency for me. Boost that... unless your guitarist is also boosting at that frequency, in which case light his amp on fire.
  11. amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    I find that sometimes it depends on my playing, I play mostly fingered and my attack on the bass makes a big difference, those nights when I am feeling less aggressive I get lost in the mix and have to remind myself to bang it like Flea.:bassist:
  12. My two guitarists in my old band used to bury me alive in the mix.... they looked worried when I arrived one day with a Rick...

......they looked even more worried when I changed from a Hartke Kickback to an all tube Mesa....

..."uuuuhhhh..what's that??"

"oh that? ...nothing."

I haven't had a problem since, and I second turning down the bass a 'tad, and turning up the mids and highs more...
  13. The above post deserves archiving.
  14. steve21

steve21 Banned

Dude, you're my hero.