Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

not dancing for chicken arrived in the mail

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by dace, Apr 27, 2004.

1. dace

dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    i really like what i've heard so far. though i'll have to listen to the whole thing several more times before i can make a complete assessment. really great to listen to after a long hard day at work (had a 5 1/2 hour project meeting at work today :spit: )

i'm kinda surprised that it managed to survive all this way through internal air freight from england to australia because the cd didn't come with a standard CD case, just a cardboad sleeve.

i think i was one of the first people to use steve's new e-shop. so it looks like its working and i haven't had any credit card fraud yet! :D

steve i noticed that nothing but the bass wasn't available from the e-shop. is it sold out already?

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Dace,

really glad you're enjoying the CD.

Yes, you were one of the first to try out the new shop , and it all seems to be working just fine... :)

The digifile packaging is just cos I hate jewell cases - horrible plastic monstrousities. Digifile costs a lot more to do, but feels more like a mini gatefold record to me! :)

And Nothing But The Bass is sold out, but you can how buy the whole thing as high res MP3 downloads via the shop, with the artwork bundled and everything!

It won't be long before the first pressing of Not Dancing For Chicken sells out, but I think I'll get that repressed, given that it's still selling pretty fast... But if the download thing proves popular, I may start doing a lot more of that as well... Who knows. T-shirts next! :)

please let me know what you think of it after you've had a chance to listen some more...

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I think this new e-shop idea is great gives me more of a sense that the money is going to you and not having a 10% cut taken out from some shop. DAMN THE MAN :spit:

Hmm T-shirts. Don't know if i'd feel comfortable with your face and a cheesy grin on my chest. Maybe some of your Car's new promo pic's. They've got more of an industrial vibe to them :D

Oh and i'm sueing you for scaring me this morning as I checked out your blog.

BTW Steve using my sales technique I will again need to be ordering a new copy of not dancing for chicken.

4. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Now there's an idea - photo-evidence of traffic violations as fashion statement... I like it! :)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

5. dace

dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    so you're not going to repress And Nothing But The Bass? :(

i dunno i would still prefer to buy it as a CD than as a MP3. if i've got the CD & the digifile sleeve it really feels like "i've got one of steve's albums". if its just a bunch of MP3s and pictures sitting on my hard drive...its just doesn't feel the same.

Derek Bailey's Improvisation book sounds interesting. I'll see if I can get my hands on it.

what the?!? the winnie the pooh series is based on taoism? :eek: alright i'll give this The Tao Of Pooh a read too.

6. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I probably will repress ANBTB eventually, and I still have some promo copies left (in a non-gatefold cardboard sleeve) - if you order the other two CDs, I'll chuck in ANBTB for free... ;)

Derek Bailey's book is great - way more inspiring that his music...

And the Tao of Pooh is outstanding. Well worth a read!

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

7. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    BTW, the artwork that comes with the download version is the proper digifile artwork, so if you can find someone with an A3 printer, you can make your own version! :)

...or failing that, there are still a few copies at www.cdbaby.com ...

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    what's this ? a new cd? I'll have to check it out...

Derek Bailey: I found the converse true; didn't find anything I didn't already know in his book but love his music.

Usually though it's historically the other way round with forward thinkers- their ideas are more interesting than the results- I'm think ing the First School of Italian Futurism and uh, Some of Cage's work though imust admit to having been a Cage syncophant in my formative years.

9. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Don,

The Bailey book I found really interesting - he peddles his free improv agenda pretty heavily, and is very (overly) scathing of the classical world, but the interviews were pretty varied and it was nice to see that stuff collected together in one place.

His music usually leaves me frustrated - the intended lack of cohesion seems to me to lead to lots of it sounding the same, so much so that, ironically, 'non-idiomatic' music becomes as idiomatic, if not more so, than much that happens in more tonal genres...

I really enjoy the music of many of Derek's contemporaries - Steve Beresford, Evan Parker etc...

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Ok its all getting a bit technical for me so back to the T-Shirt

Front

Pic of Steve Breaking law (whats next Steve? banks, little old lady where will it end????)

Back

It cost Steve Lawson £50 to make this T-Shirt. How you gonna say no to a guy so devoted.

Opinions people I'd be willing to fund Steve criminal life style for a bit of fashion

11. :bassist: BREAKING THE LAW, BREAKING THE LAW.... :bassist:

Any Judas Priest cover versions in the pipeline, Steve? Maybe you could collaborate with Alex Skolnick? ;)

12. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Collaborate with Skolnik, yes please. Cover judas priest? er....

I'd rather do 'I Fought The Law'... :)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Well, Lawson, I jut went to the website to but the cd...and your out of stock ! Sheesh...

14. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Don,

And Nothing But The Bass was my first album - it's the live one, and has recently sold out. At some point I may well re-press it, but for now, it's download only. 11 Tracks for £5, with all the artwork bundled etc... bit of a bargain... ;)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

15. dace

dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    steve did you use a slide on mmsfsog?

i've only tried using a pyrex glass slide on roundwounds. i always wondered what it would sound like on flatwounds and i'm guessing that it would sound like that main groove in mmsfsog.

16. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I didn't use a slide, no - I have tried a slide in the past, but not on flats... must have a go at that!

The melody on MMFSOG is doubled an octave higher by a pitch shift effect on my Lexicon processor. the bass part is just slides on a fretless...

:)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net