Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

not digging the Sansamp RBI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Feb 2, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    My friend Jason recently purchased a Sansamp RBI. I'd thought about getting on of these things for months, and so I finally got the chance to try it today. I plugged a direct line through it to my Peavey. The sound was just harsh. It did nothing useful for the sound except for the added low end. The treble was just damaging to the ear. Coincidentally he also has a Sansamp BDDI. I tried that and I got more of a desired effect. I was hoping to use the Sansamp to boost low end on whatever rig I get, but now it appears questionable. I'm thinking of maybe just a BDDI. Which will only leave me with more space needed on a pedal board and smaller rack.

~Patrick

2. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Took me a while to get the tone I wanted from the RBI.. and I still only like it "sometimes."

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    What puzzles me is why I couldn't get tone I liked from it, although it is held as one of the best bass preamps.

~Patrick

4. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    My only suggestion would be this:

Set everything on the sansamp to 12:00... my guess is that this will just fatten up your tone a bit.

Now, boost the Blend knob clockwise... this makes my tone sound more "scooped"... when I do this I have to roll back the presence because it is using more sansamp and less of my bass's tone. If I roll back the blend knob all the way counter-clockwise, I get more of my natural bass's tone, in which case I boost the presence a bit more in order to be able to hear it.

Another example: with the blend set at zero the drive doesnt do much at all, even with it (drive) set to full. With the blend set at full, the drive adds quite a bit of distortion to my tone, even without it (drive) being at full.

I personally dont like much drive. With my settings all at 12:00, I usually roll back the blend a bit (adds my bass's mids to fill out the tone better).. boost presence just enough to hear some finger noise, cut back the drive usually to 9:00... I've been leaving the bass/mid/treb at 12:00 and usingf my boss geb-7 for EQ.

I have to agree with you tho, it isnt quite what I am looking for in a preamp. It is great to add to my bass just to fatten it up a bit, but the other tones it puts out seem to be set at the wrong frquencies for these ears.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Small adjustments can make a big difference. Experiment. As boozy said, it can be good to start with all knobs at 12:00. On my SABDDI, I often keep all knobs at 10:00 or 11:00.

If tone is too harsh, roll back Treble and/or Presence. Try rolling back Drive to zero. If your speaker cabinet has a tweeter, try turning that down.

As mentioned, the RBI will scoop your mids. Sometimes harshness can occur when there's too much scoop. On that note: you said you ran the RBI into your Peavey. Are you running the RBI into the same jack that your bass goes in? If so, that could be a problem, especially if you use the EQ on your Peavey to scoop mids: if so, you then have a double scoop... a good thing for ice cream, and PA bass bins, but not necessarily good for bass guitar. :p

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    If you get the chance, i'd spend some more time with the RBI. I've had one for the past several months and i can get plenty of usable tones. E.g. for jazz band, i put everything [except drive] at 12:00 and then drive @ 9:00. For Show Band [aka pep band], i put the blend all the way over to my StingRay5's tone. I like that tone the best out of all of them, however, being able to get a bit farther away from the Ray5's natural tone can be nice if i don't need so much bite.

That's all and hope your next experience w/an RBI is better.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    See if you can find the clue.

8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    drive at 10 o'clock
    presence at min (7 o'clock) (makes harsh sound if you have tweeeter, I think)

dial bass, mid treble to taste. add drive (clockwise) for some breakup