not dry enough

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by soontobedead, Feb 27, 2006.

1. soontobedead

Jul 14, 2005
    Hey there, people.

There's a question i have here. I had this defretting project to complete and i intended to finish the FB (maple + roundwounds) so i used polyester resin. I have applyed more than 2 weeks ago the second layer and it hasn't dryed throughly. It's hard enough to touch it and not get resin all over your hands but it's still soft enough to leave fingerprints if i press down a little bit.
    I'm worried here cause 2 weeks seems to be quite a lot of drying time. Maybe the resin/hardener ratio wasn't enough for it to dry up quick enough.

Weather down here is quite humid and it's summer, so temperature is kinda hot. I sometimes leave the neck by the window (away from sunlight, tho) and at night i have a fan in front of it.

There are no bubbles in the resin (maybe a couple of craters i can sand down later)... I can't sand it down fearing the resin will peel off or something like that.

Is this normal? any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

2. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    I'm sure brands/types vary and all that, but I spray polyester on my guitars and it dries rock hard overnight as long as you keep the heat up in the spray room. Sounds like the hardner mix was off to me. Are you using a 2 or 3 part?
  3. soontobedead

Jul 14, 2005
    the people at the store sold it to me as a 2 part mixing kit (generic brand). The first part was a transparent pinkish resin (polyester) and a little container with a clear liquid serving as hardener (my guess is it's peroxide or something like that). The thing is self leveling and easy to apply... my only concern is the drying time

And the people at the store didn't give me any mixing ratios, but the hardener container was way smaller than the resin container, so i assumed the ratios would be resin/hardener at 2:1. Maybe it's not enough?