Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Not enough funk to move em!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr Bassman, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    UK
    I had assumed that a 300 watt amp through a 1x15 (see profile) would be enough to fill a 300 seater approx. venue but I was disappointedly mistaken last week. I realise I am only getting something like 210 watts as the amp is rated at 300 watts for 4 ohms but was running at 8 ohms on the night.

Could this be down the acoustics of the place (2 floors (second floor at about head height when on stage) or should i shut up, stop whinging and buy a 2x10 to add to my setup which I have been considering? We don't do loads of gigs at the moment but that is going to change in a few weeks so.....?

Thanx in advance

Niggy

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Get the 2x10.I think the extra speaker area will help more than the wattage.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Another 90 watts, *by itself,* probably isn't going to get you over the top volumewise. That really isn't much in bass terms. I agree with Gabu--getting another cab is likely to help you more. If you do this, check the impedance, though. If your amp is rated down to 2 ohms, you can use a 4 ohm cab with your 15, but the new cab will get a bit more of the juice, and the total load will be about 2.67 ohms. Probably safer to get an 8 ohm cab. That, with your 15, will present a total load of 4 ohms, which should be just right for your amp. There should be a noticeable increase in volume. It won't be twice as loud or anything, but it should be perceptibly bigger.

4. JohnP

JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner Guitars, DTAR, Seymour Duncan,
    Mr Bassman,
    Don't you play through a PA when you do places like that? how do you know what you sounded like in the room? Maybe you were loud enough in the room, but couldn't feel it on stage?

5. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    That could be very true, I have played many times where the soundman kept telling me to turn down to what I felt was "earphone level" but when you grab a wireless and go out and listen you hear the difference. Bass by nature carries extremely far thats why when a car goes by blastin his jenson 6x9's you dont hear it but a car goes by pushin bass you can hear it in your house.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Shoot, if the second floor is at head level, I'd pretty much write that off unless it is well away from the stage.

Yeah, it could be the room. There's one place we play that used to be a bowling alley. The stage is well up above the audience and the audience area is not only way down at the level where the bowling alleys used to be, but it has a very low ceiling, and is at about a 45 degree downward angle. So their ears are down and diagonal.

As the case might be with the room you describe, sheer volume isn't the answer. In the room I described, if we used volume as the answer, the first 1/4 of the audience gets their skulls cracked and the back 1/4 of the audience can carry on a polite conversation.

The upside of an extension, (besides wattage if your head is bridgeable), is that you can place the extension somewhere else to better sonic advantage, like on the other side of the stage or up with the PA bins.