Not enough!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by biergott, Mar 4, 2004.

1. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca

I am running a Warwick Thumb 4 through my pedal board and into an Ampeg SVT-4PRO. This then goes via Speakon cables to a PR15H and a PR410H.

I am not currently using Biamp mode as it actually seemed to have less punch.

We recently added a second guitar to the band and I can no longer keep up. The peak light is almost constantly on as is the limit light. I have tried all varieties of gain/volume combinations.

My band (luckily for me) likes a large bass presence. They call it Lead Bass with 2 rythym guitars (even though they both play through Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifiers)

I am considering buying another power amp. Does this sound like the right solution? Can my speakers handle it? (I am technically dumb!)

I'd appeciate any suggestions!!!!
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What about your EQ settings?

You can knock walls down with that rig. My guess is you have boosted the bass EQ too much which is kicking the limiter in early.

Every boost of 3 dB means you need double the wattage to reproduce those frequencies cleanly. If you have the bass EQ boosted 10 dB to keep the amp from clipping you need TEN TIMES the wattage compared to the bass EQ flat.
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Agreed, pull down the lows and push more mids, that will get you heard just fine with that rig.
  4. biergott

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    I have the EQ set completely flat now (I changed this a few months back)

Should I set my rig up differently? Right now Channel A is going to the 15 and Channel B is going to the 410. Again I am not in Biamp mode.

Also I use the Ultra High and Ultra Low Buttons, Along with The Bright button.

The EQ is flat. Bass is at 11, Mid is at 11, Treble is at 12. Currently my Gain is at 12, and volume at 12.

I am using active pickups but not the -15db switch.
  5. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    As far as I know the Ultra Low Buttons in Ampegs cut mids rather than adding lows to make you believe there is more lows, so keep the Ultra Low Button out!
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think you want to bridge (not biamp) the amp. A quick look at the specs shows you are getting 300W per channel into 8 ohms. Thats 600W total. If you bridge the amp and then connect the two speakers in parrallel you will get 1200W into 4 ohms, which should run well with your speakers :bassist:
  7. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    That's what I was going to say, try cutting out some low end, roll if off a bit and you will get what is precieved as more mid range rather then boosting the mids, Then I read about the Ultra Low button, and as jock said, turn that off, and adjust your EQ accordingly without that on.
  8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Wait a sec....

Which speakon jack on the head are you coming out of? As I recall there is only one output for bridge mode. If you aren't biamping but plugging into the separate a/b outs of the amp you're only getting part of the signal.

The correct way to hook up cabs in bridge mode is to connect one to the center speakon, then daisy chain the other cab to the first.

That rig should be deafening.
  9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Yep, there is really only one way to run the 4PRO, and that is bridged........the biamp or stereo is used by maybe one out of a hundred people.....

The PR410HLF is 4 ohms, and the PR15HLF is 8 ohms. Using both will be too lowan impedance, below 4 ohms, so you can't bridge into both.

The PR410HLF is rated 600 RMS, so depending on your style, you might do fine with just it in mono. But it would be killable if you get carried away and thrash.......

On the other hand, if you try it out, you will probably find you have so much headroom that you won't push it.

Try it. My bet is it will work fine.

You use the middle jack, and set the switch on the back for mono bridge. The correct plug wiring is stated on the back.
  10. biergott

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    Thank you all for your info....I have changed the cord and will bridge tonight...

BTW Ampeg Insider, I should have been more clear with my model numbers.... I have the PR15H and the PR410H...both are rated at 8 ohms and are 400W RMS and 600W RMS respectively.
  11. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    My experience with the SVT 4 pro, is that the preamp is not very loud. I used my SVP-pro preamp in to the SVT 4 power amp in, and it was twice as loud as it was with the 4 pro preamp section.
  12. If nothing works, get a Sansamp bass driver, a very useful tool, it also increases the power of your amp. Excellent tone shaping. :cool: :cool: :cool:
  13. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    hey biergott,

well? how did it go?
  14. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah-Bridge it. 1200W vs. 300W/side?? hm...
  15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I too was'nt impressed with the volume of my old SVT-4 Pro. My clip light was also constantly flashing. I ran the amp in both mono-bridge through a 1000W SWR Goliath Sr and in stereo through 2 Ampeg BXT410HL cabs. I tried many different EQ settings to no avail. I could'nt find fault with the 4-Pro's tone though.
  16. biergott

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    Just a report to let you know how it went....

I bridged the amp and went to practice on Friday. I got to practivce and HAD NO SOUND!!!!!

Anyway, after changing, re-changing and changing again the speakon cable while my bandmates waited (studio time isn't cheap!!!) I found that the volume pot on my bass was out!!!

I bypassed the pot and, man if we weren't blown away by sound! What a difference!

Obviously I need to reconfigure my tones, and that will have to wait until after I fix my bass!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!