Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Not enough relief bad for pbass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by drd07, Nov 4, 2003.

1. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Hi all,

I do all of my own setups (mainly thanks to all you people here at TB!). However, is it bad for a bass to have little or no relief in the neck? The reason I'm asking is because I set my p bass up with relief originally around .010 - .012. However, since the weather changed (I live in Chicago), the neck straightened up quite a bit. Now the relief is around .002! There is no buzzing and the action is super low the way I like it. Is the no or little relief bad for the bass?
    Muchas gracias!

2. No buzzing, low action the way YOU like it.... i dont see any problem.

Just keep an eye on it, if it flattens out too much then you may start to go the other way via means of back bow.

:D:D

Merls

3. Like Merls said...

...lucky damn dog :spit:

4. Me 3. I live in MN so I can relate to extreme changes in weather/humidity. I'd keep an eye on it but I don't think you should have any problems.

5. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Thanks all for putting up with me being so anal. I might loosen it just a tad (1/16th of a turn...is that possible?). Damn Chicago weather...

6. What you spitting about hammy? get my email? ;)

:D:D

Merls