1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Not enough snap

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SixString, Oct 4, 2009.

1. SixString

SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm not sure i know how to phrase this question right but I'm going to try. I am having a hard time getting a nice 'dig in' type snap when playing my strings on my Marcus miller fender signature. I have a MIM fender jazz and its snap is perfect when u dig in it has the sound as if your popping the strings but doing it finger style as opposed to slap.

Is this a setup issue with the marcus miller? I've tried changing the strings both heavier and lighter thinking it was that but its not. Mainly its my G string that doesnt get the nice snappy sound.

Here's an example of the kind of 'snap' i'm talking about starts around 1:25 in the video ()

Thanks in advance for any info

2. Roundsound

Roundsound

Sep 29, 2009
    Utopia
    One thing i can say is that my MM does not produce that sound in the video, thats a typical humbucker fat snap.

But, it produces the same snap in a singel coil version. I have switched the preamp to a Sadowsky. What you need is a tone control, so you can open it up a bit more. Recommend switching out the preamp to something with a tone control, your bass will be so much better.

3. SixString

SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks, yeah i should mentioned im not really looking for that modulus fat tone at all in fact my Marcus never leaves passive mode. I should emphasized that i get the feel and the snappy sound i want using my other fender jazz which is also just a standard passive jazz bass.

4. Roundsound

Roundsound

Sep 29, 2009
    Utopia
    How is your tone control set on that bass?

5. SixString

SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    The MIM fender? i usually keep tone all the way up and turn my neck pickup down a bit to get a little more of a p bass type tone.

6. Roundsound

Roundsound

Sep 29, 2009
    Utopia
    Hm. I would think that the MM would produce more snap than the MIM. I dont quite remember how mine sounded with the original preamp, but doesnt it sound like the the tone control is wide open, if there had been one? Also the 70's pickup spacing would make it more snappier. At least inside my head.