1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

not exactly amp question, but question about plug...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KataPolt, Aug 24, 2004.

  1. KataPolt


    Aug 4, 2004
    Hi everybody,

    I live in an apartment with roomates, and I must keep my bass equipment in my room. My room only has 1 outlet, and it only accepts plugs with 2 'teeth' (does not have the 'hole' to allow the 3rd, lower 'tooth').

    All my equipment requires the 3 'teeth' outlet. I am not good with electronics...

    What do you recommend I do, so I can use my 3 'teeth' equipment lines?

    I am sorry if I made this topic in the incorrect forum. I could not find a more appropriate forum. :oops:
  2. Run an extension cord from a plug in another room then plug a 6 plug bar into that somewhere in your room, problem solved and you can plug everything you need into it.
  3. KataPolt


    Aug 4, 2004
    Good idea! I am not at home now, and I do not know if other rooms nearby have the '3 teeth' outlets in them...

    Are there other easy solutions? :meh:
  4. Jarrod


    Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    the two normal prongs are the positive and negative connections that are needed to complete the circuit and draw power from the outlet when you plug your amp in. The third prong is a ground, which is a safety feature. You can buy an adapter from 3 prong to 2 prong for about a dollar at radioshack, so there's your answer. However, bass amps draw a LOT of current, and i really wouldn't recommend bypassing the ground for fear of causing damage to your equipment and/or electrical shocks to you... they put it there for a reason!

    the better solution would be to have someone who knows what they are doing install a new outlet into your wall, assuming the apartment's wiring will allow it.
  5. Jarrod


    Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    assuming that another outlet in the apartment is grounded (has 3 prongs), and you decide to run an extension cord, make sure its a good quality cord and MAKE EFFING SURE that the power strip has a SURGE PROTECTOR in it. You'll know it has a surge protector in it because you won't be paying less than $30 for it. If you use some grocery store $1.99 special, you WILL overload it and you WILL start a fire.

    I still say you install a new outlet.
  6. KataPolt


    Aug 4, 2004

    This is very good to know!

    Thank you for your advice! Would it be difficult for someone who has no experience with eletrical matters to install a 3 prong outlet? Dangerous?
  7. Jazzin'

    Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

    extension chord or power bar, your amp wil not be grounded and will have an annoying buzz.
  8. Jarrod


    Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    well, the new outlet will have instructions in the box, and it isn't terribly difficult for an amateur to do, but in order to do it, you'll need the power turned off to your apartment, which you probably won't be able to do without your landlord's permission... plus in case of an accident, i don't want your charred corpse on my conscience ;)

    therefore, the safest way is to get an electrician. I doubt they would charge much for something so simple, but you might have to get your landlord's permission.... or, you might just try asking your landlord to have your Super install a new outlet for you
  9. notanaggie

    notanaggie Guest

    Sep 30, 2003

    If the wiring does not have the wires for the third prong , then you can't wire one in no matter what. It will act just like the 2 prong, , it will only LOOK like it really grounds the unit.

    You have to have the green equipment grounding conductor in the wiring to use the 3 prong outlet and have it mean anything.

    We won't go into landlords and wiring, and amplifiers and "get that amp out of here I won't have you blasting the neighbors" etc, etc.

    You CAN go get a GFCI, the outlet with the two buttons on it.

    That can be used in a 2 wire circuit, and will give considerable protection against shock.

    It isn't perfect, but it will "pass code". It won't do jack for buzzes though.

    If you have wood floors, 1 outlet and no water pipes or radiators, doubtful you COULD get a shock. You could put in a 3 to 2 adaptor and play. if it buzzes. do what we used to do.....flip over the plug.

    If it won't flip, take a file to the bigger prong. Seriously.

    If you are in the basement, scratch all that and do the GFCI or do without. basement floors are shockers

    I'd do the GFCI anyhow, that's the easiest, best idea in the circumstances
  10. Eric Moesle

    Eric Moesle

    Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    notanaggie is right. If there is no three-prong outlet, odds are that there is no wiring CAPABLE of a three prong outlet. You need the ground wiring to attach the third prong to.

    People DIE from mishandling electricity. Don't monkey with this yourself. If its that important to you, call an electrician. Your life is worth more than saving a few bucks.
  11. TheChariot


    Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Move. :p
  12. KataPolt


    Aug 4, 2004
    Hi everyone!

    OK, I noticed last night that there IS a 3 prong outlet in the kitchen and the bathroom. Would this mean that the apartment is capable of having the 3 prong outlets installed?

    Also, I need to have this installed for using of my computer, too...
  13. jondog


    Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Most 2->3 prong adapters have a small metal tab (or some have a wire) to take care of the ground. You remove the screw from the outlet plate, plug in the adapter, and then replace the screw by going through the hole in the tab. Now plug a surge protector outlet strip into that adapter. No biggie. Unless you're running a huge amp in your bedroom, you shouldn't have any problems.