1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Not feeling so bad about my shop anymore!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by scottyd, Mar 2, 2008.

1. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
  2. :eek: can you say "texas chainsaw massacre"?

3. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    I'll notice the sheer number of incomplete guitars/basses there too :D

4. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    lol I'm still scoping out the pics for any illegal herbal plants...:D

5. oh, those are in the greenhouse. :cool:

6. hmmm, that's what I call a climate controlled workshop.

But I tell you what though: the best bass mods I have done was during college, in a dorm room, with only a small desk and a computer chair as workspace. I even chemically stripped a bass and oil finished it in that 1 bedroom space. :)

7. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    No doubt, it's the builder not the building. I just imagined Ken (whos work I am a big fan of) working in a different enviroment. :meh:

8. Nelson Guitars

Nelson Guitars

Aug 14, 2006
    Novato California
    Custom builder
    Don't go judging the book by the cover.

Geg N

9. I've driven through the area where Ken's shop is as well as been to Waco, New Orleans, and the Bronx. Although it's a bit rustic, and you cant tell from the pic he posted, he's close to some pretty amazing scenery. It's in the wooded Sierra foothills not to far from Lake Tahoe, Lassen Nat'l Park, Nevada City, and skiing you all would have a hell of a flight to get to. Don't loose to much sleep over there in the concrete feeling bad for him :rolleyes:

By the way - good call on the herbs in the area...

10. I would trade working in a crappy converted garage for that setup in hot second. I lived in Maine for a few years, I'm crazy about old barns.

11. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Tribal will be here soon.

12. Nomad98

Nomad98

Dec 13, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Did anyone take the time to look at this guys website before they "passed judgement?!" Looks like he can finish a project.

http://www.kbguitars.com/

???

13. ryan(MAIDEN)

ryan(MAIDEN)

Jan 27, 2008
    wow... that guy can make some killer instruments...

14. is that supposed to be a poke to where we live? :) the scenery is beautiful, but the shop looks bare and you would not expect the quality of instruments coming out of a barn. I did not dis his instrument making abilities in my post, in fact, KB basses are amazing....

15. maybe you haven't heard the horror stories? he's quite the infamous builder ...in a bad way.

16. 6Hz

6Hz

Jul 12, 2007
    Berkeley, CA
    #3 .. An outbuilding at least 50 yards from the wife and kids: Priceless.

17. DSB1

DSB1

Mar 8, 2006
    Ken is an extremely kind and helpful individual and has made massive sacrifices to do what he loves best. This is not to mention his work, which is second to none. Keep this in mind when talking about him, please.

18. Nomad98

Nomad98

Dec 13, 2005
    Minneapolis
    No... Do tell?! Just seems weird to go at someone for their SHOP? Really... If he has done wrong fine, tell me, but otherwise I don't think this is a great idea???

Sorry, Just my opinion!?

19. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Nice photos.

I'm a big believer in a product reflecting the surroundings where it's artist created it in. And that surrounding has tons of character and personality and warmth.

20. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Actually That looks like a really cool shop. I'd much rather work in an enviornment like that than a stuffy "Modern" Facility.