Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NOT FOR SALE...yet. Carvin BB-76P

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Mo'Phat, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Hey everyone...I'm thinking of selling this, but as the Carvin market is so strange, I thought I'd ask advice here as to what a good price would be. (I know I'll get the '$1 guys' and the 'trade for an SX P-bass' guys, but that's okay!)

This is an excellent condition Carvin BB-76P that I bought new from Carvin in 2002. I've played 2 shows with it, and it has spent most of its life in my home office. Very clean all around. Comes with a good condition tweed case (I've moved, and it got dirtied/marred in the move).

Here are the "custom" options:
    Classic Translucent sunburst finish over Quilted Maple top. All maple body. Top doesn't cover the 5 piece (maple/walnut) neck through neck, so you can see it on the body. Unfinished headstock (kind of looks like a Wal), Abalone Block inlays, Dunlop straplocks, Piezo pickup bridge, passive/active push/pull volume knob. Magnetic pickup blend and magnetic/piezo blend. For fun I had them install a pickup phase switch. Black hardware.

I paid $1592 for it. Would it be out of the realm of possibility to get $950? Any advice would be welcome.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    As pretty as that bass is Carvin does not tend to hold its resale value hardly at all (and I am not a Carvin basher by any means, both of my basses are Carvin and I love them). You are looking for 60% of what you paid new which isn't completely out of the realm of possibility but from what I have seen Carvins typically sell for more in the range of 40-45%.

Whatever you decide to ask for it, good luck in selling it, it is a very nice bass.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I would hope you'd be able to get that much! It looks wonderful. Like Jaye said, 60% may be a bit high, but I would think someone would take it...

Ray

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    My Carvin 6 fretless is a great bass. I would try to sell yours on the Carvin forum. People there seem to have like 20 basses at once and all Carvins.

It's too bad that they have a bad rep for some reason. Mine is the best playing fretless I've tried.

5. Thanks Jaye and Ray...

The problem with the Carvin market, as far as I can tell, is that everybody, regardless of the condition of their instrument, sells for 40%-45%...which is why I just might keep it and play the hell out of it for a few years until I feel it's only worth that.

6. Agree that it's a great player, but I'm just not into 6-ers anymore. All my other basses are 4's, I'm more comfortable with 4's, and they just feel 'right' to me. I'll look into the Carvin Forum...I almost forgot about that.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You can't do private sales on the Carvin forum; it's against the forum rules. You'll get your thread deleted if you do that.

I've had good luck with the Harmony Central classifieds, as well as with the for sale forum here on TalkBass. For a Carvin-oriented selling site, though it's not that heavily trafficked, you could also try this:

http://swapboard.lightningboard.com/index.php