Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Not for the faint of heart. WARNING: graphic photo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    By request.

Rotten.com wouldn't accept it as it was too graphic.

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    that is bad news man. Sorry. How'da do it?

3. stingray5bbx

stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    same thing happened to my SR5

4. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    the injury was very undramatic. turned around into a triton keyboard. i think keyboards hate basses cuz they know we still do the bottom better.

5. Haha, very nice!

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    SIG WORTHY!

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Eep.

Happens to the best of us.

My suggestion is to get some nail polish to cover the ding. That way, you seal the finish to prevent it from chipping further, and a dark color will not clash as badly as the bare wood.

Other than that, you simply have to accept it and move on.

:bassist:

8. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    That's the only thing that frightens me about the Bongos-Basswood is so soft. I think it is a perfectly fine tonewood, but it is so pliant.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Pretty much any finished instrument will ding like this. Depends on how hard you hit it.

10. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

Sure, that is a paint chip. But the softness of basswood is well known. My Ibanez RG was particularly bad.

11. AAAHHHH YOU'RE SICK!!!!

Listen Joe, this forum is open to the public, and you can't post that sick stuff here. i'm surprised the mods haven't taken that pic off the net.

in all seriousness, that sucks. i hate when my basses get dinged up...i usually go for the headstock because it always hit the ceiling when i would take off my bass. i am really careful with my new bass

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sorry to see it, man. That's why I just lay back and groove. Sure, the audience thinks I'm near death, but my basses all look new. Anyway, just fill it in with a Sharpie.

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

If the Bongo had been made of stone, the paint still would have chipped if it was smacked against a keyboard hard enough.

So, what's your point?

14. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    Either you can adopt the 'tude that it gives your bass character (Some of the BEST players I've heard have no problem using basses that show a lot of scars), or if you can't live with it- EB/MM can do either a spot or full-on refinish,
    better than new, because they'll set up the bass as new during the process. Call them.
    Either way----

15. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Same exact thing happened to my Sterling a month or 2 after I got that. Nuthin to do with the basswood body.

Uh... what are Sterlings made out of anyhow?

Sure hope this doesn't turn into a basswood predjudice thread.

16. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    Looks like you play your bass, instead of polish it...........keep it up!

17. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Dang dude, if you hadn't told me about it, I'd a-thought you were trying to smash some speakers or something. :D

18. Sorry to see it but hey it happens. It's not like you bought it because it looks good hanging on a wall.
    Then again, I'm of the sort that kinda digs it when an instrument looks worn in(preferably by me).

19. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I'm actually kinda ok with it. I think it's needed. Now it's become a tool. I'm not the least bit afraid of it. Before it happened I was a bit overprotective. Now I don't care. Last gig the guy I was playing with kicked it while rolling around on the floor and it was all part of the fun as opposed to, "I'm gonna kill you now!"