1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Not for the light of heart...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ad Nauseam, Feb 11, 2002.

1. For your listening pleasure, here are a few live recordings from my band; The Bedraggled.

http://www.thebedraggled.com/sounds/mpeg/02 - skin of my teeth.mp3

That's a frettless Zon Sonus Special with a pick and a little gain on it.

http://www.thebedraggled.com/sounds/mpeg/06 - burnout.mp3

This one was my SSD NS-4p, fingerstyle.

http://www.thebedraggled.com/sounds/mpeg/08 - healing and drinking.mp3

My Zon Legacy Elite 5.

These were recorded last sumer at a sell out show in San Diego. We were opening for The Blackheart Procession and Albumleaf; two Touch&Go lable bands. They sound best with good speakers, but not too bad on my crappy little ones.
    Feedback is welcome!

~Ad

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Nice bass playing Ad, I liked the sound you were getting with the Spector the best.

3. Yeah, it's a lot "dirtier" sounding than the Zons. Those EMG's as opposed to the Bart's. Although I sometimes play the same tune with my Legacy with not too much of a difference.
    Thanks Mike!

~Ad

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

The songs aren't my cup of tea, but you guys have your act together. Bass sounds really good. :)

5. Oh, we won't be everyone's cup of tea. I wouldn't want to be anyway.
    Thanks for listening!

~Ad

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Nice work.

Not what I play, but I would go see ya.

Better than country music. Your bass definately drives the tunes.

7. Thanks Zulu.

We're a lo-fi "post-Punk" band. Our influences are bands like The Jesus Lizard, Scratch Acid, The Birthday Party, Fugazi, Cop Shoot Cop, Bauhaus, Joy Division, Steelpole bathtub, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Einsturzende N., The Misfits, The Laughing Hyenas, Killing Joke, The Murder City Devils, Big Black, Shellac, Tom Waits (he da man!), and various dead bluesmen. (John lee Hooker and Robert Johnson) none of that Stevie Ray S*** here!

So we're a unique subcatagory of punk, sorta "Blues Punk" i guess. Darker and less political than most punk bands.

Here's a link to a review:
    http://hometown.aol.com/nammedol/bedraggled102601.html

We'll be on tour this summer and I will post dates as soon as they're booked.

In the meantime, let me know what you all think! Don't be afraid! Post, Post, Post!

~Ad

8. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Isn't the expression, "Not for the faint of heart"?

9. Hehe, Xavier wants us to stop through there as well. I don't know the ligistics of it though. Would we need a work permit to play Vancouver? What clubs are good for punk/gritty lo-fi?

~Ad

10. Website slow? It was working fine for me! I'll look into it.

16 horsepower is great. The reason we may have some similar feel is because that's the "Denver Sound". We're quite a bit harder and quite a bit more punk, but we still have that "backwoods" sort of feel to us. I think it comes more from Tom Waits than anything. I can't live without my "Rain Dogs".

We have an EP for sale on our website. It is a bit outdated but decent nonetheless. It is more "Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds" to our "Birthday Party".

I'll ask Mike Watt about crossing that border into "Canadia". ;)

We'll be doing Seattle, so I imagine Vancouver wouldn't be too much of a detour. It is cool as hell to have some friendly bands in the areas who want to do shows with us!

~Ad

11. Wow, very nice man! I especially like the fretless work on "Skin of My Teeth". Enjoyed listening and will again.

Peace

12. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Sounds good!:)

13. Some really good stuff, man. I especially enjoyed "Burnout", the bass is sounding excellent there.

14. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Hey...downloading some tunes now. Touch and go rocks the house! Do you like Don Caballero?

We are based in Seattle and would love to do a show with you when your up sometime...You should play at the Paradox Theater. It's all-ages and is a great place to play...

...will post feedback when I get done listening...

15. We like just about anyone in the Touch&Go vein!

Does the Paradox serve booze, too? We kind of cater to the drunken crowds! :D

We're going to try to set up a show with SMASH's band; STOKE in Vancouver. We'll be hitting Seattle just before that.
    Do you have any MP3's?

Thanks everyone for listening!

~Ad

16. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
  17. Yes, actually it is. But since my band is a bluesy, dirty, hard-drinkin' punk n' roll band; I guess we would appeal to the HEAVY of heart!

But yeah, that was a misuse of the phrase! ;)

~Ad