Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Not for use with maple fretboards?!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Circus, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Ok, so I went to a music store today, and just asked for a cleaning kit, I told him it is for a stingray, I havea maple fretboard. So he gives me the dunlop kit that comes with lemon oil, and a polish, and some rags. It was pretty cheap, so I just got that. I come home, take off the strings, wipe the neck down with the lemon oil, then polish the body, throw the new strings on and i'm done! Except I looked at the box after the fact, and I see that it says in fine print, not for maple fretboards.

I am sure nothing is going to happen to my bass, but man, he asked me if I had a maple fretboard, I said yes. What was he thinking? He sold me a kit that says on it, not for maple fretboards. I didn't read the box either I guess so I am just as guilty as him, but you would think he would know already since he does work there. Anyway, thats my little rant for the day.

2. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    He should know more about the product then you. I say maybe ask for a refund or have it replaced with something suitable for a maple fretboard. Like you said, that one cleaning probably won't do much harm.

3. He "should" know but that doesn't mean he "does". Return the product. Your maple fretboard is most likely protected with a polyurethane, so just use a quality furniture polish on it that DOESN'T contain any silicone.

Don't use this oil based stuff, return it, or use it on your ebony or rosewood instruments.

4. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    ive used this kit and I belive its nto for maple fretboards because their is a darker wood color stain on it, that wouldnt be noticeable on a rosewood fretboard. The deep cleaning also has a darker color to it if i recall, maybe thats why its not for maple.

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    either that or it's because almost all maple boards are sealed and it's kind of pointless to put lemon oil on a sealed surface.

It just...won't soak in like a rosewood board.

But then...I really have no idea.

6. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I am willing to bet that you bought that at Guitar Center. Those people don't know anything about the product at all. I have had several incidents like this at that store with various people.

7. Actually some Music Man necks have oil finishes only and that's the reason for the warning on the maple. But one time around won't hurt - just make a point of embarassing the twerp when you take it back. :D

8. From the Ernie Ball website -

"For cleaning, try using the same high grade of lemon oil to clean the entire neck, both maple and rosewood fretboards. Keep in mind that if the dirt or grease has been worked into the wood, it cannot be removed except by sanding it down, which we do not recommend unless exercised with extremely fine sandpaper (1200-1600 grit), and even then very sparingly. It is better to keep it clean in the first place. Washing your hands first helps!"

Unless the lemon oil that you used comes from maple fretboard-hating lemons, you should be fine. The polish, on the other hand, MAY be a different story.