Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

not freaking out when i am playing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sgresso, Nov 14, 2000.

1. sgresso

sgresso

Jul 13, 2000
    Hello i am fairly new student to bass about one year i just started lessons about a month ago and i love it but my problem is i get nervious when i need to play my lessons. i know what need to play but i kind of freak out and can't play simple bass line i fly through at home. I know what i am capable of but can't produce at my lessons. any suggetions will help or am i just a nut? thankx
    steve

2. do you mean you have a hard time playing in front of your teacher?
    is he intimidating?
    maybe tell him if this is the case.
    maybe you should take a lesson from nerveous public speaker and imagine the teacher in their underware

but probally not

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I've experienced this as well, being able to perform well without an audience, but when it comes to play it to someone that is BETTER than I, it just won't work. It's a common obstacle to overcome.
    I think lots of people feel a bit uncertain when playing with their teacher. I eventually got over this, when I got to know my teacher better as a person. After a couple of months or so we were quite sync'ed and I was able to play out.

4. Think about baseball!

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Steve: It doesn't matter how long you have played or how good,bad or indifferent you are, there will be times when you will have to play through nerves. Treat every lesson as if you are preparing for the biggest show of your life. Remember that the teacher is working for you and not the other way around. Learning to perform for your teacher is good practice for public performance. Good luck.

Pkr2

6. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I had the same problem. I finally quit going to him because I wasn't looking forward to the lessons.

7. Same here. A former teacher of mine was extremely critical, and I used to go to my lessons just shaking, thinking "Omigod, please don't let me screw up today!" I think he was secretly afraid of me progressing beyond his ability. Then I switched to a different teacher,and in my first lesson, He said "Come on Man, Make me Dance!" And from then on I looked forward to every lesson, it was like I was going over a friend's house every week, saying "Hey, check this crazy s**t out! Waddya think?" Needless to say, he helped improve my playing a thousandfold, just by helping me to relax. Playing relaxed is the only way to go, and the only way to achieve that is through self-confidence.
    ("It ain't Braggin' if you can back it up!"- Jaco :) )
    Also, try performing in other one-on one situations, not just for your teacher, Just grab somebody and say "hey can you listen to this for a second?" The nerves will slowly subside, but never completely go away, but with a little more experience, you will be able to deal with them better.
    For some interesting reading in getting over nervous obstacles, I highly Recommend "The Inner Game of Music" by Barry Green and "Effortless Mastery" (Recommended by Mike Dimin)

8. My teacher is *hyper-critical*. It took almost a year to not be intimidated by him, and to relax. But I still know he hears flaws in my playing most mortals can't and I still
    get apprehensive about some things. I still blow things that I nail at home. I expressed my frustration, he explained that I should be glad I **** up at my lessons, otherwise there would be nothing to discuss, hence nothing to learn from. The more mistakes or flaws, the more there is to talk about, the better a lesson it is. He suggested I should figure out why my playing has certain flaws when I'm nervous that it doesn't have when I'm not nervous; figure out the adverse effect nerves have on my play, then I can work to correct it. Having an understanding of how nerves effect my playing will give me a better understanding of my playing, if you that makes sense.

Try talking to your teacher about it. I've also found that sometimes if I say to my teacher,"I can't believe I just ****ed that up. I know it just goes like this...(play)" Somehow that negates my nerves, I nail the lick effortlessly, and I can feel good about myself again. :)

9. sgresso

sgresso

Jul 13, 2000
    thankx for all the help i will try all in info i got thank again and you all rule!!!

10. i guess most of all deep down inside you also have to care about what he is teaching, i had a teacher for three months that love tapping, i could have cared less. so i stopped
    got a little sick of playing R&B with tap breaks

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Just play your bass a lot and remember you are the customer.