Not getting any sound out of my bass, jack issue?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ultrapoopa, Aug 20, 2022.

1. ultrapoopa

ultrapoopa

Jul 1, 2022
    I dont know if you can tell by fhis picture alone, but could this wire be the issue, will some soldering fix it? i have little experience with eletronics, thanks

20220820_115810.jpg

2. johnh89

johnh89

Jan 25, 2020
    Kent UK
    Is the wire physically connected to the tab on the jack ? It looks like that may well be your problem as the white wire will be the signal wire from your pickups . What bass is it ?

LoveThatBass likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah judging from that pic it looks like that wire is your problem. It's a fairly simple fix. Roughly where are you geographically speaking?

4. Dan Bone

Dan Bone

Apr 4, 2021
    Sure, I'd take that apart, cut it back and re-solder it. But I'd also look at all other routing and take a meter to it. So note that wires shouldn't touch or chaff together. Like in the pic there's one where the black and white wire are crossing each other. I'd look between them to ensure they aren't shorting together. Also note the terminal at the top of the pic that appears to be riding on those white wires. Same thing here. Check that they aren't chaffed through and shorting and then re-route it so they don't touch. Like if that terminal isn't doing anything, I'd probably bend it back.

5. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    Awful looking joints, I'd remake them all to save another one being an issue later on.

6. I agree, awful soldering but that white wire may be secure as the angle of the photo dos not actually show the joint. It's obscured by the insulation tag against the solder. Are you sure it's not the lead? They are more often than not the problem with sound. Try another, known, good lead first before stuffing around trying to fix something that may not be a problem. Does the amp work with other instruments/devices? My approach when I encounter issues such as this is to a)check leads and their connections, then b)check that the amp is working and then c)verify that the instrument is at fault. Are the pickups active or passive? Could be something as simple as the volume control turned way down or a flat battery. (if you have multiple pickups some switch positions may also cut them all out - generally on electric guitars, not basses) Make and model of the instrument might also give a clue, too.

7. Agreed. You need to cut the corroded end off that white wire strip the insulation back a little and solder it onto the Jack.