1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Not getting what I want from my Bart MK1 Pre

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jbasso, Apr 23, 2006.

1. jbasso

jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    I own a beautiful SR905, and I like it, playability is amazing, but I have noticed that the A, D, and G strings sound very "sterile" or Hi-fi compared to the mellow/deep tone of the B and E strings. The bass is tuned perfectly. Strings are month old Chrome XL Flats. Could it just be the strings? And the fact they are fairly new? If I remember correctly, the bass did not sound like this with the rounds I used to have it on. I was thinking of just replacing the pre-amp with something a bit better for more tonal options, which may also take away the issue I am having currently. Should I just try another set of strings first? If you think I should just replace the preamp (I have heard the mk1 pre isnt that great compared to some others anyways), what would you suggest? I dont really know the specs of the mk1 pre, except that its a 3 band. I just want something high quality, drop in, and will allow many tonal capabilities.

Any input is appreciated

2. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Maby try a bartolini NTMB, or wait for laklands preamp to come out.

3. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Flats will make it sound 100% different.

4. It sounds like you need to try a different set of strings to be honest.