Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

...not good.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Metallideth, May 11, 2004.

1. Metallideth

Metallideth

Feb 19, 2004
    well my bass's wires came undone on the connector jack my grandpa something to do so i gave it to him and told him to sodder it...he cuts the wires and attaches a thick gauged wire to it by hand then sodders it to the connector so it sound like ****...now i gotta go to the store and fix everything :p

What gauge wires are normal?

I posted here because you luthiers would know ;)

2. I typically use 22 gauge, unless it's something very intricate, then I use 26. You probably get both at Radio shack or another hobby shop in your area. Good luck!
    :smug:

3. ejsagun

ejsagun

Jan 20, 2003
    i use telephone hook up wire. it is solid wire so it stays put inside the cavity. I've always read that dont use solid wires in wiring basses but i think its okay. cant hear any difference.

4. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    I use mostly 18ga, sometimes 22-24.

I once saw someone use 12ga :eek:

5. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    A thick gauge wire won't make your bass sound like the susbstance you used in your simile. Make sure he didn't transpose the wires - it will buzz badly in that case. In what way does it sound bad?

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    well, sometimes using solid core wire can produce skin efect. Basically high frequencies make the electrons jump to the surface of the wire. What signifigance this has, I have no idea.

7. I thought that electrons traveled on the surface of wire anyway? Not so?

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have heard that they have done experiments about this. Apparently by this one experiment I was reading about, higher frequencies will cause a skin effect, causing less conducting efficiency. But who knows? I've never even seen an electron, much less asked one which path he likes to take to work!

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    also, if what you said is true, hambone, there wil be more surface area in a stranded wire than a solid wire which with the skin effect will work a bit better than solid.

10. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Electrons definitely normally move through the body of a wire.

My understanding is that a skin effect can be introduced at high frequencies, but contrary to some advertising claims this only occurs at gigahertz frequencies, there is no effect anywhere close to audio frequencies.