Not happy at all with this "new" forum layout !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by Davyo, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I tried bookmarking the all threads page, and when I go to open the link it comes up as a talkbass error. Same with the link that Febs posted. I get an error page with the talkbass heading, but looks like the old talkbass. ????

edit: OK. Seems I can actually bookmark it, but can't save it to my desktop for some reason.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  2. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
  3. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Can you send me a screenshot of the "old talkbass" error page you're getting? That's weird.

4. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    With the "All Watched Threads" page open, shrink your browser window to expose your desktop then click and hold the icon next to the URL in the address bar and drag it to your desktop...this is a no-brainer way to create a web link on your desktop!

link.jpg

link 2.jpg

link 3.jpg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    Testing123 and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  5. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Thanks DE... I did do that though yesterday, and that's what kept bringing up a talkbass error page. Might have something to do with firefox.

6. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Yeah it seems like maybe a caching issue with Firefox, esp since you say it looked like old TB

7. Double E

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I find it hard to believe that it would link that URL to the old site since that path did not exist on the old site.

Joe, does the "error" page look like the one shown in this thread?

If so, that is a different issue. I think that has to do with a java issue.

8. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    The URL to javascript/css/etc has changed over the last week or so, so could still be caching issue ;)

9. Double E

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    That makes sense...I was getting that weird page earlier this week but the issue fixed itself.

I am trying to help with Joe's issue here only because I really dig his contributions here on the site and it breaks my heart that he is not happy. :(

10. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    No. It looks like this. And I am logged in.

talkbass error.PNG

11. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Joe,

Well, the URL looks correct, but the problem is that, at least according to that screenshot, you are not logged in. That's a valid and current error page for not being logged in. This could be a cookie issue. What happens when you log in from that error page (and click "stay logged in")? What happens when you bring up that error again, and then click on "Forums" or "media" etc. Are you logged in on the next page?

12. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Bingo! I logged into that page, and now I can access my posts from the link. It wasn't making sense to me because I was logged in anytime I typed in the URL. Didn't understand (still don't actually, but it doesn't matter), why it would be different going from a bookmark.

I realized something else though that perhaps you can help with. It's great that I can get to all my subscribed threads with a single click now, but is it possible to do that within the forum? Often times I'm reading something and want to get back to a thread that I read already... and I'm in the same position I initially posted about. Have to click several times to find that thread again, or now (I guess) close talkbass and go back to my desktop to get to all my subscriptions. I used to be able to simply click "subscribed threads" which was on every page. Now many pages don't even have that. I have to go to alerts, then scroll down, click all subscribed threads. Sometimes the alerts page takes a bit of time to load, also.

If this isn't possible, is there a chance that it can be made possible? I'm gonna guess I'm not the only one who got used to using the subscribed thread function as it was laid out in the old forum. I used the "new posts" feature in the same way. Thems were my 2 most used clickers.

Thanks for the help.

13. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Just bookmark the same link in your browser that you just made into a desktop shortcut. In most browsers, you can do that by hitting [CTRL]-D.

14. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Yeah, you can bookmark directly in your browser. Otherwise, it's 2 clicks:

Screenshot at Jul 28 15-46-08.png

Screenshot at Jul 28 15-46-35.png

15. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Aight. I bookmarked it as suggested... still getting used to firefox. My original bookmark was hidden in the bookmarks menu for some reason. Now it's right there when I click the star. Which is nice. Still 2 clicks to get to subscribed threads, but I guess I can get used to it. The extra click will burn a few extra calories a day :). Yo!

Now I'll do my best to quit complaining. Thanks guys.

16. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Hey! Just realized that link is logging me in through internet explorer. Whatever. I'll figure this stuff out one day. This works fine with explorer anyhow.

17. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

I use the talkbass.com mobile app 90% of the time now and it is as much as the old TB as possible.

18. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    This new layout is fantastic. It is so much better in evrryway from the old site. More detailed searches, the classifieds are now much better... no more seeing your thread bumped to page three in a few hours because some people have more time on thier hands, multiple looks to choose from. Also it has been steadily improved since it was first changed. I am surprised folks find it less funtional and more problematic than the old site.

Testing123 and bluesdogblues like this.
  19. Testing123

Testing123 Eschew obfuscation

Jan 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Agree 100%!

Well, it might help to remember a couple of things:

1. The previous software had been in use here for, what... about 12 years or so. Kinda like an old pair of shoes if you know what I mean. :)

2. The previous software used, vBulletin, had been the best selling forum script on the internet for many years. That meant that when you left here and visited another forum, chances are that forum would be running vBulletin as well. The theme might be different, but the underlying structure and many of the commands would be the same. No need to learn an entire new system so to speak.
    Regards,
    Allen

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021