Not happy at all with this "new" forum layout !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by Davyo, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

Ok...now looking at all of this using Google Chrome on my home computer, it looks usable. My work computer, which I have no control over, has evidently an old Internet Explorer version that is totally unusable. There are no graphics, everything is spread out, like 1 post takes up the entire screen. I hope you can figure out this cluster. In the mean time, Im going to poke around here.

2. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Yep,,,, I'm thinking real hard on if I'm going to renew my membership as well,,, the classifieds are horrible now and my biggest dislike is the results or "the lack there of" with a "search",,,, no way to view how many views on each thread and no way to view the number of replies on a thread,,, those very pretty important things to be able to view,,, now they are just gone when doing any search.

AVSforums and Harmony Central went from great user friendly forum formats to over complicated and non user friendly formats and now TB has done the same.

If you all at TB wanted or needed to make such big changes you should have went with the style/format of Android Central or iMore forums.

For the record, I am very tech savvy and am very happy to adopt new OS's or UI's when they are good and done right,, I've been playing with this new forum format for a while now,,, the old TB was light years better.

I've been a supporting member here since 2008,, but this new format is very alienating and makes me feel like a stranger in my own home.

I also feel like I will be spending less time here.

Davyo

3. One thing they're right about is that it fully compatible with my phone browser . . . It's just impossible (for my 43 year old eyes anyway) to look at it for more then 2 - 3 mins without serious eye strain. And that's in either the '14 or Retro mode. Luckily tapatalk works and I can set it to dark mode (black screen with white letters) or I wouldn't be on at all today. Plus as the TB app was tapatalk based, I can still get to where I want to quickly and easily. Gonna take some time to get used to it on my desktop though.

4. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    Change is difficult. I hope between all the complaint replies here that you all appreciate what was done and why...

I ran my own business for almost 17 years, I went thru server upgrades, software upgrades, hardware upgrades, OS upgrades, MS Exchange upgrades (UGH!!), accounting system upgrades and patch crashes, etc etc.

It takes an ungodly amount of time and effort to make something like this work and work as well as this has right out of the box on day one. I know from personal experience as I personally did a lot of my own system upgrades in the past... Data migration is fraught with all kinds of potential pitfall. That it appears everything moved over as well as it did is amazing in it's own right.

Yeah, I know it is human nature to bitch about change and all, and I am sure paul and the rest of the crew are listening and responding the best they can in such a short timeframe. I just want to encourage everyone to take a deep breath, give it a little time, and stop to appreciate what you have here to begin with, and to thank those who go over the top to bring it to you.

Rant over.

BigBeatNut and cleary like this.
  5. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    What a bunch o' crybabies!!!

This NEW look is VERY GOOD.

Stevorebob likes this.
  6. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    Some stylistic thoughts for the Mods & paul:

1) if you can narrow the thread boxes it will make reading easier. Long lines of forum text can be hard on the eyes, while shorter lines seem to read easier. The format of the "Forums" page would be a much easier read for all pages: http://www.talkbass.com/forums/
    2) if you follow suggestion #1, you could use the space gained for either ads (yes, I accept revenue is needed to keep a site running), or list all forums continuously on every page, or similar and more of the stuff on the "Forums" page.
    3) hovering over the "Forums" button for the "pop up" leaves some of the links below the screen page level (at least on my laptop). Perhaps going to more columns would allow them all to show without scrolling down, or having to click the "Forum" button and thus do another page access
    4) initial default to "retro TalkBass" should be the way to go, with the option for a "2014", at least this early on in the process for those who will not read threads like this and get turned off quickly by the super bright white pages.
    5) this guy concurs with the idea that the "Like" button is too FaceBook and popularity oriented. If anything, it helps build a divide between members with larger friend networks, or who have been around a long time, and those who have not. I have seen this used on varying other forums to various levels of success, but rarely do I see it add to the sense of "community" as a whole. Seems more like a detractor from that idea. No one wants to feel ignored (not liked) while they see others constantly "liked".
    6) changing the avatar/name/date section of the screen to a slightly darker color will again make reading the rest of the screen easier.

You guys have done a great job so far, thank you again!

7. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    So far, so good.
    Just need some time to get used to it all.

8. ialma

ialma

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    Maybe it has already been pointed out but when the For Sale section would benefit a way to turn images preview off.

And also when I logged in the day after, only new posts were in blue while now every post has the same color.

And the feedbacks, all the links are dead when I try to see the reference post of my transaction.
    So now I have no idea what I bought from which user.

Also not pleased I cannot save all my messages as I used to before emptying my mailbox.

9. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I really appreciate all the hard work that everyone has put into this site.
    I'm not afraid of change.
    For me, the old site was much easier to see and navigate.
    I like the old graphic layout much better and found it more user friendly.

10. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    It was a good run.
    And the tight community feel does seem to be lost.

BluesBear likes this.
  11. Facebook may be the most hideous and useless site for browsing actual content I've ever seen. The more like Facebook TB becomes, the worse.

BluesBear likes this.
  12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Listen - I'm not citing Facebook as any example of a beautiful interface. It's not.
    But - most don't complain about the background color there because they're just used to it.

Our TB forum looks different now - but it's good. Anyone freaking out: if you give it a little time,
    you Will get used to it, and eventually, Like it.

13. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX

14. No - I think most don't complain about the background color because there is a lot LESS of the bright white covering the screen.

On Facebook there is a white background behind "statuses" - but replies to those are on a blue/grey background, as is most everything else. On Facebook only ~1/3 or less of the screen has a bright white background. Here it is 100%.

I'll tolerate it as long as the content justifies it - that is what I come here for after all - but I'll never like it.

BluesBear likes this.
  15. xaxxat

xaxxat

Oct 31, 2008
    Trophies?

Likes?

Welcome to FaceBass... :woot:

16. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

Please get rid of the juvenile 'Likes'.

Rezdog

Scott Peterson likes this.
  17. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I need more time, but at this juncture I have to say, I don't like it at all.

BluesBear likes this.
  18. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

OK, it's been 24 hrs or so and I'm getting used to the new TB, BUT I miss the old TB. Yup, I'm one of those resistant to change. I think I see where it's going and I'm sure through checks and balances we will get a TB we are all happy with and used to.

I was going to delete my rants from yesterday because they were pure emotion, but I decided to leave them because they were the truth, too.
    Thanks Paul for all the hard work you and the the team have done.

My "fear" is that this site called Talkbass was like a home to me will change for the worse. A safe zone, so to speak, to escape from everyday life's issues. Oh, and to connect with some AWESOME people and buy basses and amps I don't need and can't afford. :laugh:

I just hope that the sense of community stays. When I met a TB'er in person, it was a magical event. It was like meeting a celebrity. "Wow, you're StuartV ?" for example. Also, as TB'ers we KNOW that if we are in a new town we could just contact a TB'er and it was like calling a fraternity brother ; their doors were open to us.

I don't see why this aspect would change (playing Devil's advocate here), but the whole points thing, likes, etc still makes me feel uncomfortable. Yes, I have top points and I'm 1 point away from being on the board, but I don't like this whole "false status" feel.

The beauty and MAGIC of Talkbass was the level playing field. I could be in a "room" asking about Bartolini pickups and Bill Bartolini would walk in and reply. Then some guy who could be Geddy Lee would walk in and join the chat. Where else does this magic exist ? I don't want to lose that !!! I LOVED that about Talkbass. The horse's mouth was in the room.

To quote Red from Shawshank Redemption, "I guess I just miss my old friend."

19. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I hope everyone sticks around. At the end of the day its the subject of the bass and the camaraderie that really matters right?

SBassman likes this.
  20. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Exactly. :thumbsup: :bassist:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021