Not happy with Lakland (long)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spooner2112, Sep 19, 2006.

1. spooner2112

spooner2112

May 24, 2004
    Arlington, Va
    I originally started this thread because I had a legitimate complaint about how Lakland and/or Bass Central seemed to be giving me the run-around regarding the late delivery date of a USA Bob Glaub bass I had ordered. However, both Bass Central and Lakland promptly responded to my complaint in an prompt and professional manner.

Lakland & Bass Central explained the apparent miscommunication about the delivery date to my satisfaction, and Lakland has apologized and promised to ship my bass shortly. Bass Central has offered free strings to help compensate for my trouble. I am therefore editing my post to retract my negative statements and to reaffirm my positive recommendation to do business with Bass Central and Lakland.

2. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    [. . . going to the store to get a couple of brews. . . Anybody? Jazzy Grille: bring some of those Guiness over here, would you?]

:cool:

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    It's OK, they (Lakland) messed up my order, too. Join the club. :) Maybe this was a good thing, because now I have an even better bass for me:

Just go with a Roscoe, that's what I did and couldn't have been happier, those guys are literally perfect in every way (other than Gard being fat).

:)

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    So, you gave Bass Central money for a bass that THEY said was going to be finished soon, and it's Lakland's fault?

:rolleyes:

5. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Why has there been so much Lakland bashing as of late?

Did you call Lakland yourself? It's not like it's the Fender factory...someone who actually knows what's going on will answer the phone.

And as far as Bass Central being more honest than Lakland...well, that's a big assumption to make considering that you never talked to anyone at Lakland, and it doesn't seem like BC really jumped through any hoops to get a REAL answer for you. You prepaid. Lakland may certainly be the source of the delay, but the responsibility for satisfying you falls squarely on the shoulders of Bass Central, not Lakland. You are not Lakland's customer...Bass Central is. Otherwise, what is the point of a retailer?

And no one "bilked you" out of anything. Are you telling me that BC wouldn't give you your money back? Do you think that Lakland got their money and their not planning on doing business with Bass Central anymore? That's a pretty provocative word to use for a description of a situation that is vague at best.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I didn't know Bass Central builds basses.

7. spooner2112

spooner2112

May 24, 2004
    Arlington, Va
    Well, when I've called Bass Central, they (claim to) call Lakland, and report to me the latest delay from Lakland and their latest excuse. I guess I am assuming Bass Central isn't just making it up, but if I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I think this is more Bass Centrals fault than Laklands. Just get your money back and buy elsewhere.

9. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    spooner I think that you should really take into account that when doing any sort of production you ALWAYS have the chance of parts/materials not coming in on time leaving you line-down etc... etc... I think that you will get your bass and love it to death.

Murphy's law came into play here :) at least that's what i think anyway.

[​IMG]

here. :)

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Maybe you should call Lakland and confirm what BC is telling you. I know that it's shocking to consider this, but you might just want to take this crazy extra step before bashing Lakland.

11. spooner2112

spooner2112

May 24, 2004
    Arlington, Va
    I have called Lakland, and they have never answered nor returned my call.

12. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Custom orders take time.

Am I reading your post correctly that you don't have a bass to gig with and were counting on your custom bass to arrive for the "gigging season"? If you needed something *right now* you should have bought something in-stock.

13. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Well seeing as how it's been less than an hour since you originally posted the topic...

14. spooner2112

spooner2112

May 24, 2004
    Arlington, Va
    I called Lakland numerous times over the past 2 months. I guess I should have mentioned that in my OP.

15. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    This doesn't sound at all like Dan and Company at Lakland. They have always bent over backwards in the customer service department. I would try again to contact Dan directly and explain the situation. Although production delays are frustrating, it sounds like Bass Central might not be giving you the whole story.

16. spooner2112

spooner2112

May 24, 2004
    Arlington, Va

No, I have a number of other basses, including a '98 P. But when you get major GAS, surely you can understand being anxious to see what the new toy can do in various gigging situations. :bassist:

17. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I notice you're in Arlington. Why didn't you use your local Lakland dealer, Jive Sound? According to Jong's inventory page, he has a sunburst Laklank Bob Glaub in inventory right now. Oops, I see that you're waiting for a USA model. Nevermind....

But Jong could have ordered it just as easily as any other Lakland dealer, and he's local to you as well.....

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Spooner, I agree with the others. Call Lakland and see if they are scheduling production of your bass. If you are not satisfied, demand a refund or at least another bass of equal value from Bass Central.

19. spooner2112

spooner2112

May 24, 2004
    Arlington, Va
    Actually, I talked to Jong and almost ordered through him. He's a nice guy as well as a good player; my band has played a double bill with his. The reason I didn't order from him was that, at the time, he honestly indicated it would take a good 5 months to get the Lakland I wanted (which was, ironically, about 5 months ago). Bass Central indicated there was already a bass in production at Lakland meant for them, so I could get it sooner if I bought that bass. I figured it made sense that I could get custom Lakland sooner than the 4-5 months the other dealers were quoting me if Bass Central already had "dibbs" on a particular instrument in production.

In retrospect, maybe some of you are correct that it was Bass Central who wasn't giving me the entire story. Nevertheless, I still feel that Lakland hasn't been forthright with the status of my bass, unless Bass Central has been blatantly lying to me about the content of their conversations with Lakland.

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I was just at Lakland recently and I happen to ask how many USA Basses were on order and once a check was made,I don't want to give the exact #'s but there are a lot of USA models(and I'm sure that status has grown since I first asked,about a week ago) on order and I'm sure your's is in that bunch.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021