Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

not happy with my ampeg rig, need a new sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kdsi44, Apr 19, 2005.

1. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    i currently have the ampeg svt classic and the 810e cab.....im not happy with the sound.....sounds boomy and woofy.....not what im looking for......now i also have a mesa mpulse 600 i just picked up...it sounds ok with 810 cab, but still not happy.....now could this just be the cab......im thinking of trying bergantino nv series.....please help....thanks

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    To me, the modern Ampeg classic series cabs have no clarity, just boom & mud. From what i've read, the Bergantino NV series cabs are supposed to be alot like the vintage Ampeg cabs, at a fraction of the weight. Never tried one myself, but others will chime in. You might want to try a Schroeder cabinet as well, or a Peavey.

3. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I have also been unimpressed with Ampeg 8x10s.
    If you are looking for something giant like that, try the Yorkville model, which sounds great. Or if you want something smaller and more versatile (IMO) give 2x12s a try. I was a 12" cynic, and now I'm a believer!

4. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    Try one of them new WT800's from Eden. They are supposed to handle a 4 ohm load perfectly.

Gomez

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I honestly think the problem is more with the cab than with the amp.

6. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I haven't been impressed with an 8x10 yet Carvin, Ampeg, any that I have heard. Just sounds kinda blah with little definition.

410 with a 1x15 should be much more balanced or the 2x12 would be a single cab middle of the road between a 10 and a 15.

7. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    sry, wasn't paying attention.

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Try using Eden. Most newer Ampeg cabs kinda suck, but Eden (or Bergantino would be another awesome choice) sounds great with Ampeg heads.

9. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    +1 on the Bergantino.

When I bought my NV610, I tried it out next to an Ampeg 8x10. The Berg made the Ampeg sound like it was being played through a wall of pillows.

10. The Berg NV610 is the best sounding 8x10 there is. :D And don't be too quick to sell your SVT. Tube amps sound best with sealed cabinets (opinion of many...not just me), and the NV Berg series (610, 215, 425) are extraordinary.

11. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    now thats the kind of info i was looking for....who else plays the nv series and what amps do you use?

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    i second holding on to the head until you try a new cab. do a search for bergantino 610, 425, 215. lots of people use tube amps with them but also pre/power rigs. a nv 610 is without a doubt going to be my next purchase to go with my old ampeg v-4b! :hyper:

13. toby

toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    When I got my gs 412 I tried it out with an svt classic and an m-pulse. That cab blew away the ampeg 8x10 and its like 30lbs lighter! I loved the sounds I was able to get with the M-Pulse through it as well. If you want a big cab sound, the gs412 is the tightest, most well defined cab I have ever heard. Paired with an m-pulse 600 you would have an amazing, versatile rig.

14. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah... Ampeg's classic cabs are lame ducks. The M-Pulse is a sweet head, even though I was kinda surprised at how much it costs. I'd combine that with a cab that has an actual personality of its own... because Ampeg's SVT models just dont have any sort of defining sound.

..... which SUCKS REALLY BAD when your trying to sell a pair of Ampeg BXT cabs! :mad: I kind of get the impression that everyone thinks that the BXT's are just bigger models of the SVT cabs... which is probably why I'm not getting very many offers :meh:. The Pro models and BXT models are diverse and sweet sounding.... and yet Ampeg continues to overstock every Guitar Center across the nation with 610Hlf's and 810E's. Whatever :rollno: