Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Not happy with PJ, want JJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, May 26, 2003.

1. No, not peanut butter and jelly. :p Pickup combinations. After about a month with my G&L, I just don't think it's right for me. It sounds good, it plays good. It's not really what I'm looking for. The options I'm considering now are a true Jazz or a Stingray 4.

I'm looking at: MIJ '75 Reissue, Geddy sig (they both look pretty with the block inlays) and MIA Standard. The string-through bridge is attractive there. Down the road, the pickups might be replaced. I'm more concerned with a naturally solid (heavy) thick sounding bass.

Which of those three are apt to be the best playing and most solid?

As for a MM, I know what I'd be getting there. No questions on that yet.

(EDIT: title)

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd go with the Geddy Lee Jazz. IMO, one of the best Fender basses on the market. I LOVE the neck. It's GREAT feeling neck.

My second choice would be the MIJ 75 RI because as you, I love the block inlays also & (if you wanted to) you could get this in a Rosewood board or a Maple board w/pearl inlays.

3. Ditto ;)

4. Anyone else have an opinion? The more the better.

How does the tone on the GL/75 compare to the MIA? My main reason for liking the 75 was the candy apple red finish w/ matching headstock, but those are extremely rare.

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Out of the bunch, I'll whole-heartedly recommend the Geddy Lee. Very, very nice bass. Pretty sweet as it is and sets up really nice. One of the best "bang-for-the-buck" basses around.