Not happy with PJ, want JJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, May 26, 2003.

1. No, not peanut butter and jelly. :p Pickup combinations. After about a month with my G&L, I just don't think it's right for me. It sounds good, it plays good. It's not really what I'm looking for. The options I'm considering now are a true Jazz or a Stingray 4.

I'm looking at: MIJ '75 Reissue, Geddy sig (they both look pretty with the block inlays) and MIA Standard. The string-through bridge is attractive there. Down the road, the pickups might be replaced. I'm more concerned with a naturally solid (heavy) thick sounding bass.

Which of those three are apt to be the best playing and most solid?

As for a MM, I know what I'd be getting there. No questions on that yet.

(EDIT: title)
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd go with the Geddy Lee Jazz. IMO, one of the best Fender basses on the market. I LOVE the neck. It's GREAT feeling neck.

My second choice would be the MIJ 75 RI because as you, I love the block inlays also & (if you wanted to) you could get this in a Rosewood board or a Maple board w/pearl inlays.
  3. Ditto ;)
  4. Anyone else have an opinion? The more the better.

How does the tone on the GL/75 compare to the MIA? My main reason for liking the 75 was the candy apple red finish w/ matching headstock, but those are extremely rare.
  5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Out of the bunch, I'll whole-heartedly recommend the Geddy Lee. Very, very nice bass. Pretty sweet as it is and sets up really nice. One of the best "bang-for-the-buck" basses around.