Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

not happy....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassray, Mar 11, 2003.

1. bassray

bassray

Mar 3, 2003
    hi, i just bought a mim jazz bass, and i have taken it home and the b string was ratling so i made the mistake of tightening it at the neck. it broke the string. only turned it one rotation. Should this have happened? I took it back to the shop and they have ordered a new string, but when i took the bass home i noticed the slot where the b string sits is warn down to the board.what should i do...please help

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    cut a new bone

3. bassray

bassray

Mar 3, 2003
    what do u mean...cut a new bone?

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    have someone carve a new nut

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

You tightened the sting at the neck?? You mean you tuned it higher?:confused:

6. bassray

bassray

Mar 3, 2003
    The guitar is brand new. do u think i warn down the slot by tightening the string or because maybe it was a dud?

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Return it. New basses should not break.

What kind of store has to order a new B string?!

8. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN

9. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Whoa up a little bit here.

Before advising a return of the bass make sure that there is something wrong with it.

If the B string was already at or above standard pitch and one complete turn of the tuning key is made, what do you expect?

If the key is being turned to cure a rattle, someone needs to go back to yard one. That ain't the purpose of the tuning keys.

So far as the nut cut too deeply, I'm not sure about that either. If the nut is cut properly the bottom of the notch is very close to the board. Most new basses can stand to have the notches lowered a bit as they come from the factory. High nuts allow a sloppier set up without fret buzz.

Before pushing the panic button, replace the B string and tune it to standard pitch using a good electronic tuner. Don't trust your ear = a B is not easy to tune until your ear is trained and even then may be hard to get exactly right without a tuner.

If the B string still rattles, return it to the store for warrantee repair or adjustment.

Pkr2

10. im with pkr. Most people are just gonna be ignorant and say "TAKE IT BACK, ITS BAD" but pkr seems to be a little bit calmer and i think he has it right on the dot.

11. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Have you *ever* broken a B string? I haven't. Tuning my B up a step or two would not break it.

He had a problem to begin with, a rattle. No, tuners aren't for fixing rattles, but increasing the tension on the string is a logical first step in finding out the source of the rattle.

You're right about going to the store for warranty repair or adjustment, but I question this store in the first place because they have to order a new B string. What are they going to know if they can't reach over to the rack and grab a new set of strings?

What is ignorant about taking it back? It's a MIM Fender. There are a million of 'em and some are good and some aren't. Returning this one and buying a different one from a reputable store w/ qualified service personnel, or at least someone w/ a clue, is still my advice. Bassray doesn't have to take it if he doesn't want to.

12. Cool it Jondog. You've got a different opinion and that's fine. Express it and move on.

13. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Jondog, I assume that your post is directed at me.

You seem to have some sort of ability to read something in the original post thats not there.

Lack of technique by a beginner can definitely cause a rattling B string. Also, too low an action can cause a rattle

How do you know how much tension was already on the B string when it was turned "one complete revolution"? So far as anyone knows, it may have been at the point of breaking before he turned it that last turn.

"What are they going to know if they can't reach over to the rack and grab a new set of strings?"

I'm not sure how the string stock in a store relates to what they know.

. " Returning this one and buying a different one from a reputable store w/ qualified service personnel, or at least someone w/ a clue, is still my advice. "

And you have determined that the store doesn't have qualified service personnel and is,as you put it, is clueless.

"What is ignorant about taking it back"?

I believe that you are the only one that has used the term "ignorant" in this discussion.

Pkr2

14. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Sorry, I really wasn't trying to be belligerent. Impulsee was the one who brought ignorance in. I agreed w/ pkr about going in for warranty repair or adjustment, but that's not what bassray got when he went back. He got "we'll order you a B string" which simply doesn't happen at any bass-oriented store I've ever been to. I personally would not want to do business w/ a store that doesn't have strings for the insturment I just bought from them. I apologize for expressing my opinion too forcefully.

15. I've recently been employed full time for a electronics service centre and take it from me who deals with 70% of warranty claims... "CHECK IT FIRST". I had a warranty claim on some womans remote control..... took it to the tech for a quick fix.. "batteries around the wrong way".

People are very quick to say "its under warranty, take it back" Its a good thing to have in a sense it wont cost you a thing, but i see so many people come back with a "no fault" result.

Pkr2's advice is spot on. Check it first. You dont want them to say "well the nut wasnt covered because its a wear and tear product". Crap answer but i've heard it.. trust me. So yeah, try another string, tune it up with a tuner. If it rattles, if it breaks again, then yeah take it back.

:D:D

Merls

16. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i had a similar problem check it out, i purchased a brand new olp mm copy bass, and when i played theD string it had a slight rattle,SO i took it to my teacher/luthier and he did some work on it and i will explain what he said to me: he had to cut the string ferrel(guide) on the headstock down a bit so it would make the string geometry more taunt, the way the bass was built from the factory it had a bad design,i tried a few other olp's and they had the same if not worse problems, it wasnt a problem with the nut or the neck,i now use lighter gauge strings and it plays 100% better,i hope this gives you another perspective on what the problem COULD be, good luck!:bassist: