Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Not just another vox and bass thread

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DaftCat, Feb 25, 2006.

1. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Hi,

I've been kickin' around posting this for awhile but I still haven't figured out how I want to prose my question...so what the heck...here goes...

First off, some bassists sing and some don't. Those who sing either do backing or lead. Furthermore, some cover songs* are easy to sing lead and play and some aren't.

If some of the vocalist bassists on TB care to chime in, what do you consider some of the more difficult cover tunes to tackle? I find lead vocals and bass on tunes that are obviously written by a guitarist to be moreso difficult**. I believe that vocals done by guitarists are moreso aligned to patterns on their instruments(one off and/or synchronized).

What most guitarists don't realize is that bassists have to deal with pitch, time and groove. In my eyes, a good singing bassist has more talent/game than a singing guitarist(on the surface anyway).

The reason I ask this is I desire to be better at vocals and bass playing at once. I do plenty of it already, but there is ALWAYS room for improvement. :bassist:

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for those with insightul and helpful replies.

Sincerely,

DaftCat

* cover tunes just for the sake of argument, and to keep the thread farmiliar to lurkers and participants.

** leave Sting, Claypool and Geddy out of this pretty please, no offense.

2. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Wow no one?

Don't tell me I might lose my confidence of the TB wisdom pool..

:rolleyes:

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    One thing that I can think of is that I CAN NOT groove on bass if I'm reading anything. I'm considered pretty good at singing and playing at the same time (for a bassist - I agree with what you said about it being easier to sing while playing guitar), and even if I'm going over a song for the first time or something, and I have to have the words in front of me (I prefer to learn the words BEFORE I learn the bass part, actually), I have to memorize the words in little gulps - like a line at a time - and then either look away, or just gaze/'daydream' toward the lyrics while I'm acually singing! This can be a problem, because I constantly loose my place on the page - it's embarrassing. I'm a major Dork if I don't have the words memorized.

I often have to practice a tune for a rediculous amount of time before I can perform it all the way through while singing.

This one took me a while:

http://www.narwold.org/joep/BornOnThe_.mp3

This is a live recording right off the board at a somewhat-recent gig.

Joe

Joe

4. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I'm in a new band as bassist and lead singer. We decided to put one of our tunes to a reggae beat. Now I know why you don't see too many reggae bassists who sing...

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah - The psudo/spoof reggae one that I posted above was tough enough - but that same band was going to do Marley's Get Up And Stand with me singing too. I finally had to say "sorry, Guys".

Joe