1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Not just any P-Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jordan Luff, Jun 19, 2002.

1. I was hanging out with my guitarist buddy today, and we went to Music Go Round, a small little music store that buys and sells used gear. Anyway, while he went to sell his brother's Washburn, I proceeded to check out their bass selection.
    There was some nice looking stuff, but nothing that really caught my eye, until, to my bewilderment and delight, I saw a beautiful Fender P-Bass in sparkly, Arctic white finish, with the P/J pickup configuration and no pickguard. It played and looked amazingly. As I looked at the price tag, to my surprise, I saw that it was Japanese! I had never seen nor played a MIJ Fender before, and was truly excited to have had this experience. The price read $400, which seemed like a great price to me, especially for such a high-end bass.
    As I continued my investigation of this piece of art, I noticed it had a signature on it. This of course made sense, since it played so wonderfully and sounded so perfect! Unfortunately, I couldn't make out the signature, and the only thing that the price tag said was "FENDER P/J LYTE JAPANESE." Confused, but still in awe, I made a vow to come back and buy it, after I have bought a Fender Bassman 400, and when I have the money...and when I have a job. :rolleyes: :D Ah, nevertheless, that bass shall be mine!!! :D
    Does anyone have even the slightest clue of what I am talking about? Have any other Atlanta TB-ers been to this music store and seen this specific bass? Any and all comments appreciated.

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    it is a p-bass lyte.
    very nice.
    there is one the papper in daytona with a 100 watt crate amp for $400. and really cheap on ebay

steve

3. Thanks man! I think eBay has some nicer looking deals than that Music Go Round store. Wish they had more white ones.

I did some investigation online, and found some info at Harmony Central. They had a review of the Deluxe version, and some people found it to be extremely lacking when recording. Makes me a little worried, but still...

4. I played your "Object de desire" today.

Not bad but as with most of the "lyte" P"s and the Deluxe Plus series, the body is a little small for my frame. I had a Deluxe Precision Plus - very similiar MIA bass with the same neck. I loved the neck but the body ruined it for me.

Your bass looks decent in most all respects but could probably use a bridge upgrade. That one was a bit worn. These aren't going to be collectors items soon, so upgrading and hot-rodding might just be the thing.

By the way, this store is always up for a trade or some haggling with their prices. You shouldn't take the sticker as gospel. Go in there and give 'em hell.

Good Luck

5. Thanks, I will definately be doing that ;) Hopefully, they will still have it by the time I make another trip over there (with money). I live maybe 45 minutes to an hour away from that area.