1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Not keeping tune ...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by marchone, Apr 11, 2010.

1. marchone

marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Ever since I got my new Spector NS-2-JA-R last November it hasn't kept tune very well. Every new day I found it slightly off, usually sharp but fairly evenly across EADG. Where I first thought the tuning keys were responsible I eventually chalked it up to temperature changes in my apartment causing the neck to move. But no buzzing has occurred. I do my own setups.

Since the weather warmed up here it stabilized. I am now thinking the culprit may be the DR High Beams. I have Roto 66s on my Tele.

I tend to pluck hard but I have never had a tuning issue with that guitar.

Thoughts, ladies and gentlemen?

2. dogofgod

dogofgod

Dec 24, 2009
    USUALLY When you pluck hard you will be "sharp", but only if you normally, gently tune, plucking the string. Try tuning using the same level of plucking resistence when tuning and see what happens? Does it stay in tune? If not...get a professional set up. You should get a setup once a year, so it may be a little early but a luthier should be able to keep it in tune. There are so many reasons why it might not be in tune. Give us some more info...

3. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    You're complaining about your bass not holding tune for 24 hours???
    Who's bass DOES do that? Not many. It's a string instrument thing.

4. marchone

marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    I wasn't clear. I pluck hard when I play it. When I tune up I pluck gently. I do my own setups. Intonation and action heights are spot on. I have no buzzing at any frets.

I have never had a problem with my Tele. Only with my new Spector. At first I thought it might be the neck moving for temperature fluctuations in my apartment but my set up has not changed. I have checked/measured string heights. They are the same as when I set up. The neck has not moved.

I'm now suspecting the DRs by process of elimination and want to know if they are prone to shrinking or stretching with temperature changes.

5. marchone

marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    My Tele always has stayed in tune over even several sessions. Remarkably so. I guess I don't pluck that hard.

6. marchone

marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Yeah, you're right. I should have said when it got warm last week for a few days. Your Fender/Dean comparison is what I'm talking about. Maybe I just need to forget about it and live with it.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Ive never owned a bass or guitar to include ones with full floating trem that didnt stay in tune very well for several days or more. Once theyve settle in from brand new for a couple days tuning stability is excellent on all basses and guitars Ive owned. Perhaps the winds on the post are sloppy and loose on yours? Is a common cause of tuning instability. Youd have to have rather severe temp fluctuations to cause daily tuning problems. Have you had a tech check the truss rod for any issues with it? Are the bolts on the neck all snuggly tight?

Put a set of rotosounds on the problem one and see if the problem goes away. If so then its the former strings at fault.

8. marchone

marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Without anecdotal evidence from other TB'ers that DR High Beams are at fault I have no choice but to change strings and monitor their stability. I'll report back.