1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Not liking the sound of SVT Pro 7

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by volerium, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. volerium

volerium

May 21, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    I just bought a brand new ampeg svt pro 7 last friday and at rather low volume it sounds ok.. not great but ok. Turned up to half volume it sounds horribly distorted on notes making a cross between a farting or a harsh cracking. My question is, what am I doing wrong exactly? I've heard/read great things about the pro 7 which is why I bought one but so far I'm not impressed. Thinking of returning it. The pro 7 has a one tube pre, solid state power amp 1000 watts at 4 ohms and 500 watts at 8. I'm playing directly into an SWR workingman 4x10 rated 400 watts at 8 using a passive bass.
    Prior to buying the pro 7 I was using a 1976 peavey 400 series bass head, 200 watts solid state. I had that turned all the way up on full and it sounded great through this cab and could be deafening but I wanted a fuller sound so thought a 1000 watt amp with tube pre amp with fit nicely. I want to play loud as all hell, I don't think I'm the only one haha.

I've tried the gain on full and the gain turned way down both on the new head and it helps some but not a great deal. My only thought is that the cab isn't powerful enough for the head.. does that make sense? I really thought a 400 watt cab would be able to handle it better but maybe not. I know SWR makes the golite cabs that are rated at 800W. Does anyone think that would change things all that much and make me like this head?

2. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    With the sounds you're describing, I'd have to say it's the cab. When a cab is "rated" at a certain wattage, that is its thermal handling power. What that means is that (in this case), it can take 400 watts before melting the voice coils. That does not mean that it will sound good with that much power going into it. Overpowering a speaker/cab will cause "farting out" and "crackling" every time. That really sounds like what is going on here. Personally, I wouldn't put more than 2/3 of rated power into a cab. In your case, that would be about 267 watts.

However, if you don't like (or don't want to like) the head paired with your cab (and don't want to get a new cab), take it back. Not everyone likes every head.

3. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Make sure your cables are fine. There are many things to inspect and troubleshoot before claiming the amp is broken but... Ampeg are well known for shipping semi-working or not-working-at-all amplifiers.

Look at the top case of the amplifier, it has a sticker on it with the serial number and revision. It should be Revision C00, otherwise, give it back because Revisions A00 and B00 are known to have problems.

I currently have problems with my Revision C00 amp (It reboots unexpectedly).

I like the sound of a properly-working Ampeg SVT7Pro more than any other amp. I just wish the ******* thing worked.

4. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    This is not good news to hear for future buyers.

5. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    My 7 pro works great through my 8ohm swr goliath iv. Lots of volume and no farting out. My cab is rated for 800 watts which might make the difference. This setup will go alot louder than I am using it but seems plenty loud the way I am running it. I run all tone controls at 12 oclock position except a light boost in the treble. I keep the ultra low off but use the ultra high. I run the input gain about 2 oclock and never need to turn the master above noon with a p bass.

6. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    These are great news for future buyers because they should know what to expect from a product that costed them $1000. Mine went into repair less than 2 months after getting it. I heard of similar issues from other 7Pro owners, specifically with the past revisions A00 and B00. I've heard alot of problems with 3Pro and 4Pro having rusty/corroded contacts as well.

Ampeg make very nice sounding gear but they don't justify their near-boutique price with the cheap Chinese-assembly work and poor QC. The only reason I still use the 7Pro is because I can't get one of those tiny Genz Benz 900w heads where I live. Well, that's a lie. The 7Pro is also one of the best sounding heads on this planet. ._.

7. I have a late 90's 3Pro I've had and used for about 15 years and just got a new 7Pro. They both sound absolutely amazing, all TROLLING aside.

Try the amp with a different cab and see what that sounds like. Also, turn the Master Volume up to half and the Gain to 3o'clock. Keep the compression down to 1/4 and control the volume with your bass. See if that makes a difference.

Just trying to be helpful instead of spinning this into another of 10 Ampeg Trolling threads. Good luck!!

8. You could switch out the preamp tube as well, sometimes they get damaged in transit. They don't cost very much and there is only one.

9. If I were you and it was possible, I would bring it back to the store where you bought it from ($800 new, hardly boutique price for a 1000 watt amp) and try it with cabs there, and if it doesn't sound right still, have them change the preamp tube or exchange it for another one. Too easy!!

10. this.

The issue IMO sounds like the cab. The Ampeg 7PRO problems that some TB'ers reported is the amp cutting out.

BTW, I'm a happy SVT7PRO owner.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you've got that head up to half volume, you're punishing the hell out of your cab.

12. volerium

volerium

May 21, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    Ok so spent a while today messing with things.. I have the new pro 7 which is rated at 1000, the old peavey 200 watt bass head, and a marshall 100 watt guitar head. Took turns playing all three through the cab and it sounded like complete death with the pro 7, sounded ok with the other two heads, not great at high volume but much better than the pro 7. Took the grill off the front of the cab and saw how destroyed that thing is.. large dents in three of the speakers, two big cracks in one, and one huge actual gaping slash in another. So needless to say my cab is jacked beyond all belief. Although I have three heads to mess around with I only have the one cab.. I'm still a little on the edge of keeping the pro 7 or not. I really want to but I just haven't heard it through a decent cab yet and don't know if that distortion may be all the cab or maybe a little in the head too.
    My new question is, assuming I keep the pro 7, what would be some recommended cabs to play through? I'm trying to play as loud as humanly possible. My thoughts were either the swr golight cabs rated at 800w at 8 ohms, pick up two of those or just grab an ampeg 8x10. Those are the only two I even thought of. Any other input or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thank you everyone for all the responses.

13. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Check to make sure the preamp tube is seated properly.

14. volerium

volerium

May 21, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    The preamp still works even if not installed correctly? Sorry if these questions seem dumb.. I'm new to tubes at all and even though this amp only has one, I still don't know a thing about them. I remember being told though that if the tubes went out that the amp wouldn't work at all. So.. how would I check if it's not seated properly and then go about putting it in correctly?

15. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Genz Benz Shuttlemax 9.2 my man

You are still within your return period, dont live with regret bro

16. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    You can't go wrong with either of the two cabs mentioned. The SVT810e has the classic Ampeg sound while the GoLight is easier to transport and a little fuller in the bottom end. Take your head and your bass to the store, play them through both cabs, and buy the one that sounds better to you. Don't believe what some dolt on the internet says about how they sound, go find out for yourself!

17. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    That's some great advice now that it's been determined that the cab is trashed. :rolleyes:

18. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Hey if the dude brings the 7pro to the store & loves it with other cabs, hes in the clear. If it still sounds not right to him, he may want to consider the 9.2max.
    If I were him I'd be trying out all sorts of cabs to make sure I still want the amp & what goes well with it. Hopefully the dude doesn't need to start from scratch.
    Good luck boss

19. The polarity was probably off with your speakers if the speakers look that banged up. Meaning they were out of phase and the speakers were going in instead of out. Not sure if my terminology is off.

Again, take it to the store where you got it and try it through other cabs. ayep

20. Again, probably not the amp people.:scowl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.